Baseball loses win streak despite strong outing from Bubic

Despite tossing his third quality start in as many opportunities this season, sophomore Kris Bubic took his second hard-luck loss of the season as No. 22 Stanford baseball (6-3) failed to score in a quiet 4-0 loss to Texas (7-3). With the loss, the Cardinal snapped a six-game win streak as well as a 12-game home win streak which dated back to last season.
Bubic fell to 1-2 on the season despite allowing just three earned runs in three outings. In Thursday’s matchup with the Longhorns, Bubic went 6.0 innings, allowing one unearned run on six hits, and tallied nine strikeouts. He left the mound with the Cardinal trailing 1-0, but Stanford’s bats failed to provide any support as Texas tacked on three insurance runs in the seventh and ninth innings.
“[Bubic] won a couple of big spots where they could have gotten three or four runs, so I was really very pleased with that and that’s all you can ask,” said head coach Mark Marquess. “He gave us six innings and we’re down 1-0 and we just couldn’t do anything offensively.”
The Stanford bats went cold against the dominant pitching of Texas right-hander Nolan Kingham, who went 7.0 innings, giving up just three hits while racking up a career-high eight strikeouts. The nearest the Cardinal came to mounting an attack was on a pair of singles from sophomore Duke Kinamon and freshman Andrew Daschbach in the bottom of the seventh, but freshman Daniel Bakst lined out straight into the glove the Longhorns’ second baseman, and junior Matt Winaker was sat down looking, stranding the runners. 
“[Kingham] was good. He didn’t give us very much,” said Marquess. “We didn’t really hit the ball very well. I don’t really think we’ve hit the ball very well all year.”
Bubic opened the game with his usual firepower, striking out two of the first three batters for a 1-2-3 first inning. In the bottom of the inning, Stanford got on base with two outs as junior Quinn Brodey singled through the gap to left field, but a grounder from senior Alex Dunlap stranded Brodey. The Cardinal would not get another hit until the seventh inning.
The cracks in Bubic’s near-perfect command began to show in the second inning, as he walked the leadoff batter, Kacy Clemens, and gave up a single to advance the runner. Longhorns junior Travis Jones laid down a successful bunt, and a throwing error by third baseman Mikey Diekroeger allowed Clemens to score from second. Bubic then settled down, striking out the next two batters swinging and inducing a popup to end the inning.
The Longhorns maintained their 1-0 advantage until the top of the seventh, when senior right-hander Tyler Thorne gave up a solo home run to Texas leadoff man Zane Gurwitz, who went 2-for-4 with a sacrifice bunt on the night.
In the bottom of the seventh, Stanford attempted a comeback, but stranded both on base and remained hitless for the remainder of the game.
Texas added two more runs in the top of the ninth as the Cardinal loaded the bases before walking two straight batters. Jones grounded into a fielders’ choice to stop the bleeding, and Stanford was sat down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the ninth to complete the shutout.
Tomorrow night, the Cardinal are back at it, facing off with Texas in the second game of this four-game home series. Junior lefty Andrew Summerville (1-0, 0.00 ERA) takes the mound for the second time this season. In his first start, Summerville pitched 6.0 hitless innings in Stanford’s first one-hitter since 2003. First pitch will be at 6 p.m., and the game will be livestreamed on GoStanford.com.
Contact Olivia Hummer at ohummer ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Olivia Hummer '17 is a managing editor of The Daily's sports section and writes about volleyball, football and baseball. When she's not filling in as an emergency copy editor, she can be found curled up in a ball bemoaning the misfortunes of her beloved Seattle Mariners or cursing the misuse of the Stanford Athletics logo. Olivia is a senior majoring in history from Covina, California, and can be reached at ohummer 'at' stanford.edu.