Stanford admit rate falls to 4.65 percent

On Friday, 1,329 students received acceptance letters from Stanford. They join 721 accepted in the early round for a total of 2,050 students offered admission to the Stanford Class of 2021. The students come from a pool of 44,073 applicants, the largest in the school’s history.

With only 4.65 percent of applicants accepted, this year’s admission rate is the lowest in Stanford’s history, down slightly from last year’s rate of 4.69 percent. Furthermore, the number of students admitted this year decreased from last year: 2,063 students were admitted to the Class of 2020 out of a pool of 43,997 applicants.

This year’s admits come from 50 states and 82 countries, and over 18 percent of the accepted students are the first in their families to attend a four-year college.

“We continue to be awed and humbled by the interest Stanford receives from outstanding young people around the world,” said Richard Shaw, dean of admission and financial aid, in a Stanford News press release. “This year in particular we are proud of the intellectual strength and incredible diversity represented by this group … These students have already had incredible impact on their communities, and we know they will impact the world in immeasurable ways.”

Stanford has not released the number of applicants who have been offered a place on the waitlist.

Last fall, Stanford broke from past practices by not announcing acceptance statistics for early admits. Previously, Stanford News released early admit data for the classes of 2020, 2019, 2018 and 2017. Friday’s press release affirmed the new policy of delaying data.

“Stanford will be releasing its application and admission statistics only at the conclusion of the admission cycle, after all applicants have been notified, and will continue to do so out of respect for our prospective students and applicants,” the release stated.

Admitted students have until May 1 to accept their offer.
Contact Sophie Regan at sregan20 ‘at’ stanford.edu.