Senate passes bills regarding funding reforms

In its first meeting since the beginning of the academic year, the 19th Undergraduate Senate approved reforms to undergraduate funding processes, discussed potential paths of action to support undocumented students and allocated funds to student organizations.

Funding Reform Passes

Senate meets for the first time this academic year (COURTNEY DOUGLAS/The Stanford Daily).

The Senate passed a bill requiring applicants for Quick Grants, a new appropriations system that has yet to be rolled out, to submit funding applications with specific line item requests. Gabe Rosen ’19, who sponsored the bill, emphasized that this change upholds the Senate’s ideals of transparency and accountability, especially with regard to standard funding grants.

Line items are necessary so we are able to hold [funding recipients] accountable for what they’re requesting,” Rosen said. “It will be much clearer to the accountants in [Stanford Student Enterprises] what they’re requesting, and [allocations of funds] will be clear to anyone else who looks at what we’re funding.”

The Senate passed two other bills, both sponsored by Senator Katie Hufker ’19, clarifying language related to funding reform processes in their Joint Bylaws.

Potential Action in response to potential DACA reforms

During open forum, Senator Dory Rodriguez ’20 proposed that the Senate take action to support undocumented students facing obstacles to education, employment and personal security in light of the potential repeal of DACA.

“Dory, [Senator] Lizzie [Ford ‘20], and others have made impressive efforts to support and gather community thoughts about DACA and its impact on students,” Senator Lark Wang ’20, who is also a staffer at The Daily, wrote in a statement to The Daily. “The Senate should continue and strengthen efforts to generate student dialogue about DACA and explore how it can best support students protected under DACA.”

Rosen, who originally suggested a town hall with students to discuss how the Senate might best represent the undocumented community, emphasized the importance of engaging constituents before taking any actions.

The Senate plans to continue discussion on the matter.

Funding for Student Organizations

The Senate approved funding requests from fraternities Gamma Zeta Alpha and Kappa Alpha Psi, while Stanford Tango received a standard grant to finance a class taught by a professional instructor and the Stanford Bicycle Project received funds to store and repair bicycles donated last spring.

Contact Courtney Douglas at ccd4 ‘at’ stanford.edu

Courtney Douglas worked for The Daily from 2016 to 2020, and served as editor-in-chief of Volume 254.