Spirit of the Daily [copy ep]

Staying up each night to get the paper out and then breakfast at an all-night place.”

• Thomas C. Dawson ’70, managing editor

“The endless hours of putting out the newspaper, walking across campus at 2 a.m., getting up and doing it again.”

• Ivan Maisel ’81, sports editor

Leaving the office at 3 a.m., I looked down at a stack of that day’s newspaper (which I hadn’t read); I reached for one, then paused… realizing it was already yesterday’s news.”

• Michael Nichols ’94 M.A. ’95, section editor, columnist

Many mornings walking through campus before dawn after a night of covering protests. I remember broken windows, frayed nerves, dead-tired muscles and the certainty we’d be doing it all over again that night.”

• Margaret Wolf Freivogel ’71, editor-in-chief

“All the late nights closing the paper with Bev and the gang, fueled by Jack in the Box burgers and pizza from Mountain Mike’s (the original one) and then wrapping it up with a drive (top down, freezing cold) to the printer in Menlo Park at 2 a.m. Nothing could top it.”

• Bill Burger ’80, editor-in-chief

“Sitting around the office cracking jokes with the staff, dazzled by the intelligence and wit in the room.”

• Mary Horngren ’80, summer intern

Fascinating interviews — from the next Bill Gates (current students) to Bill Gates himself.

• Margaret Rawson ’12, editor-in-chief, chief operating officer

“The Quote Board! Anything witty or stupid that was said in the newsroom was instantly greeted with shouts of ‘Quote board!’ — and it would be immediately typed up and posted for the enjoyment of all. You might say it was social media sharing in the pre-Facebook era.”

• Terry Anzur ’76, editor, columnist

Sarah Wishingrad '18 is a former Desk Editor for the University/Local beat. She is a History major from Los Angeles, California who loves politics, the waffles at Coupa, and all things Jane Austen. Ask her about her dog, Hamilton, at swishing 'at' stanford.edu.