Women’s basketball gears up for USC, UCLA rematch

COVERAGE: Pac-12 Networks

UP NEXT: USC, UCLA

1/19, 1/21 Los Angeles, CA

Stanford women’s basketball (11-7, 5-1 Pac-12) travels south this weekend for a rematch against USC (13-4, 3-3) on Friday and No. 13 UCLA (13-4, 4-2) on Sunday.

After losing three of four, the Cardinal have now won five of their last six games. Most recently, Stanford beat Washington State and Washington at home behind the leadership of senior Kaylee Johnson and the high-scoring performances of junior Alanna Smith and senior Brittany McPhee. The team will need to keep its momentum going against USC and UCLA, both of whom are eager to get revenge on the Cardinal after Stanford beat both the Bruins and the Women of Troyes.

After starting its Pac-12 campaign 0-3, USC has now won three games in a row behind junior guard Aliyah Mazyck. On the other hand, the Bruins have won four of their last five games, with their only loss during that span coming to Pac-12 conference leader Oregon, who is still undefeated in conference play.

Stanford overcame UCLA 76-65 for both teams’ Pac-12 openers, as it took an early lead that the Bruins were never able to overcome. Led by 26 points from McPhee, Stanford was able to avoid a Bruin comeback to finally come out on top. Then on the final day of 2017, the Cardinal took care of business against USC, winning by the score of 72-65. During the game, junior Marta Sniezek flirted with a triple-double as she collected eight points, 10 boards and six assists, while McPhee poured 21 points.

Stanford is currently second in the Pac-12 behind Oregon, but UCLA and Arizona State are lurking close behind at 4-2. Stanford hopes to use this weekend’s game to further assess their conference dominance.

The action will start at 8 p.m. on Friday and 3 p.m. on Sunday and will be broadcast on Pac-12 Networks.

Contact Alexandre Bucquet at bucqueta ‘at’ stanford.edu.