Women’s lacrosse downed by No. 2 Stony Brook

Stanford No. 24 women’s lacrosse (0-2) was defeated by No. 2 Stony Brook (2-0) on Monday evening. The Cardinal fell 15-9, although they put up a tough fight against one of the nation’s top teams.

Cagan Stadium was full of excited fans as the team hosted its home opener after a season opener on the road against Denver.

The game opened up in a bumpy fashion for the Cardinal, who were unable to keep up with the offensive prowess of the Seawolves.

The first 10 minutes saw a head-to-head battle as freshman attacker Ali Baiocco scored within two minutes of playing time, a promising start that was then followed by three straight goals for the Seawolves. Senior midfielder Maggie Nick was able to net another one for the Cardinal, leaving Stony Brook with a 3-2 lead. Soon thereafter, in a span of about 15 minutes, the Seawolves took control of the game with a 7-0 goal run. Sophomore Daniella McMahon was able to bury one in just before whistle, ending the first half 10-3. The home team had a hard time scoring on junior Seawolves goalie Anna Tesoriero, who made a total of eight saves during the match.

After the half, Baiocco managed to notch two more, but the Seawolves were also able to score three times, keeping a 13-5 lead. Stanford at this point started to gain momentum, retaliating with three goals – one by junior midfielder Areta Buness and two by senior midfielder and captain Dillon Schoen.

Stony Brook’s offense was led by senior attacker Kylie Ohlmiller, who managed to bury six in and to assist one. Ohlmiller now stands at 349 career points, meaning that she needs just 99 more to break the NCAA all-time career record. She is also 45 away from breaking the NCAA all-time career record in assists.

Sophomore Seawolves attacker Taryn Ohlmiller followed in her older sister’s footsteps and managed to put in three goals during the match, and fifth-year senior Seawolves attacker Courtney Murphy also added three. Murphy needs 37 goals to break the NCAA all-time career record. Senior Seawolves attacker Samantha Disalvo, sophomore Seawolves midfielder Ally Kennedy and junior Seawolves defensive midfielder Mackenzie Burns each contributed a goal to the team’s victory.

The two teams tied with 13 draw controls, but Stony Brook managed to have an advantage with 21-20 ground balls, 31-26 shots and 17-12 turnovers won.

Stanford will take on Harvard next at Cagan Stadium on Friday at 7 p.m.

Contact Laura Sussman at laura111 ‘at’ stanford.edu