Women’s lacrosse demolishes UC Davis with outstanding all-around performance

Stanford’s No. 13 ranked women’s lacrosse team (10-3, 6-1 Pac-12) won its seventh straight game today with a win against UC Davis (5-5) by the staggering score of 18-6, starting its current four-game homestand on a strong note. With the win today, the Cardinal are in a prime position to maintain their number one status in the Pac-12, and claim strong seeding ahead of the Pac-12 championships later this month.

Back on their home turf in Cagan Stadium, the Stanford women looked comfortable and in control for the entire duration of the match, staying vigilant and poised in all areas of play. The match was quiet for the first five minutes of the first period, until the Cardinal offense exploded, scoring five goals in less than three minutes.

Senior midfielder Dillon Schoen started the action, scoring the first goal of the game and putting the Cardinal on the board. The Mustangs retaliated a minute later, but were unprepared for the onslaught that was about to occur, as between 23:39 and 22:56 on the game clock (43 seconds), grad student attacker Kelsey Murray, junior midfielder Areta Buness and sophomore midfielder Mikaela Watson each scored an unassisted goal. Murray capped the run with a second unassisted goal to put Stanford ahead 5-1 with more than 20 minutes remaining in the first period.

Murray had the most impressive statline of the day, going on to score once again just before halftime, and adding an assist on a goal scored by freshman attacker and reigning Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week, Ali Baiocco. Murray finished with four total points, seven shots on goal and only two turnovers.

Baiocco also made the most of her opportunities, scoring two goals on two shots, a perfect completion rate. Fellow freshman attacker Galen Lew was also perfect on the day, and tied Murray’s team high three goals with her three total shots. Lew also picked up a team high five ground balls, contributing to overall ball control and the defensive side of the ball as well.

The Cardinal defense held strong throughout the match, limiting the Mustang offense to just 21 total shots on the day, compared to the 37 attempted by Stanford. Senior goalkeeper Allie DaCar played fantastically in the net, coming up with 12 saves in the game.

Perhaps the most significant defensive performance of the day came from junior defender Julia Massaro, who dominated the Mustangs, racking up a ridiculous nine total draw controls. The entire UC Davis team only had seven during the match. Massaro also caused three turnovers, picked up two ground balls, and even managed to get upfield and contribute a goal to the Cardinal win.

The team will try to finish the season strong as the Cardinal take on Fresno State at home on Sunday. The team then has three Pac-12 matches against the unranked teams of Colorado, Oregon and Cal in the two weeks before the Pac-12 Championships. The action begins on Sunday at Cagan Stadium, starting at 12 p.m.

Contact Bobby Pragada at bpragada “at” stanford.edu