Taube family donates $20 million toward construction of Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital’s main building

Tad and Dianne Taube donated $20 million to support the Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital’s new main building, which opened in December 2017. With this most recent gift, the Taubes have in total donated $35 million to Packard Children’s and are now one of the hospital’s top five donors.

The Taubes’ gifts to Packard Children’s have helped fund a wide variety of initiatives. Previously, they donated  $9.5 million to fund a youth addiction and treatment center, along with an additional $5 million to establish a concussion treatment center. The Taubes have also funded research on neurodegenerative diseases at Stanford.

“We believe that it’s important to invest in the children of today, because they are our citizens and leaders of the next generation,” Tad Taube said in an interview with Stanford Medicine News Center.

The Taubes’ gift will help establish the main hospital building, which will span 521,000 square feet and host 361 patient beds, as well as a new surgery center with six new operating rooms, bumping the hospital’s total up to 13. Specialized centers for cardiac and cancer care are also opening.

The hospital’s original building is also leveraging the new opening to expand its services for expectant mothers. 

“We planned every detail in our new hospital to provide the best care for children,” said Dennis Lund, interim president, CEO and chief medical officer of the hospital and Stanford Children’s Health.

The hospital building, along with 3.5 acres of surrounding landscaping, was constructed using $265 million of community donations. In recognition of the Taube’s gift, the South Tower of the new building will be named the Tad and Dianne Taube Pavilion.

The Taubes have donated over $80 million to Stanford-related organizations, according to SF Gate. Several buildings, including the tennis stadium, the Hoover Institute and Hillel House have benefited from their donations.

Contact Nicholas Midler at midler ‘at’ stanford.edu.