University spokesperson Lisa Lapin to leave Stanford for J. Paul Getty Trust

Stanford’s Vice President of University Communications Lisa Lapin M.L.A. ’15 was recently appointed the J. Paul Getty Trust Vice President of Communications. Lapin will remain at Stanford through July 6, with Associate Vice President for University Communications Brad Hayward serving as acting leader of University Communications until a replacement is instated. According to Lapin, a national search for her replacement is forthcoming.

Since 2008, Lapin has overseen the Universities communications department, coordinating press releases and managing Stanford’s image in the media. Her tenure saw a move to web-based communications — Stanford’s daily news service moved from print to online production, and now attracts over six million views a month. Lapin also expanded the University’s social media programs.

As a spokesperson for the University, Lapin has fielded scrutiny of Stanford as it comes under fire on issues like data leaks and Title IX processes for reviewing sexual assault cases.

Before working at Stanford, Lapin worked in the UC Davis communications department and was a reporter for 15 years with positions at The Sacramento Bee, The San Jose Mercury News, The New York Times and the LA Times. Lapin served on The San Jose Mercury News team that won a Pulitzer Prize for its reporting of the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

Lapin is also involved in numerous organizations related to communications and higher education. She worked on the board of the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education, an alumni relations management company, and is involved with the American Marketing Association, the Public Relations Society of America and several others. She also co-founded futurity.org, a website that aggregates news from top universities.

At the Getty, Lapin will be responsible for communicating the trust’s mission and message to the media.

“I am passionate about the Getty’s cultural and educational mission, and look forward to expanding understanding of its important role in the Los Angeles region and around the world,” Lapin told the J. Paul Getty news service.

Contact Nicholas Midler at midler ‘at’ stanford.edu.