Women’s Soccer continues play in Oregon

As September came to a close this past weekend, so too did a seven-game home stand for the No. 1 Stanford women’s soccer team. A month to remember, September saw the Cardinal win two matchups against No. 2 ranked teams, have four home game sellouts, and make two golden goals. Marking the team’s first away game since Sept. 2, the Cardinal (10-0-1, 3-0-0 Pac-12) will travel up north to match up against Oregon tonight and Oregon State on Sunday night. Stanford’s road trip to Oregon marks the team’s first appearance in Eugene since the Ducks hosted them in 2013.

In last year’s matchup against the Ducks (7-3-1, 1-2-0) at Cagan Stadium, the star freshman Catarina Macario led the Cardinal to a 4-0 victory with two impressive long range goals in the first half. Macario’s first goal came 19 minutes into the game when she scored from a 35-yard free kick with a ball that curved beautifully into the top left corner of the goal, just out of reach of the hands of Oregon’s goalkeeper Halla Hinriksdottir. Macario scored again 20 minutes later with a volley from the top of the box into the bottom left corner of the goal.

The undefeated Cardinal hold a 20-0-1 all-time record against the unranked Ducks. After starting the season 7-1-1, the Ducks have lost their last two games to Washington State and Washington. The Ducks have accumulated three points in Pac-12 play, while Stanford ties Washington State in the Pac-12 standings with nine points. Tonight’s matchup is set to kick off at 5 p.m. in Eugene, Oregon.

In their meeting with the Beavers (1-10-0, 0-3-0) last season, the Cardinal found the back of the net six times en route to a 6-0 shutout win. A total of five people scored in Stanford’s win over the Beavers, including two goals from freshman Civana Kuhlmann to put the game away.  Currently on a five-game losing streak, the Beavers are searching for their first conference win this season as they host the UC Berkeley Golden Bears tonight before Sunday’s matchup with the Cardinal.

Stanford enters Sunday’s matchup with a 24-1-0 all-time record against the Beavers, who are currently tied with the Golden Bears for last place in the Pac-12 standings. The matchup is set to begin at 3 p.m. on Sunday.

The Cardinal will look to extend their program-record unbeaten streak to 34 games with a win in tonight’s matchup. The Cardinal have not lost since Aug. 25, 2017. Following this weekend’s matchups, the Cardinal will have one more away game against Arizona State on Saturday, Oct. 13, before returning home to host Utah on Thursday, Oct. 18.

Contact Alejandro Salinas at asalinas ‘at’ stanford.edu

Alejandro Salinas '21 is a Senior Staff Writer after serving as the Managing Editor of Sports for two volumes. Hailing from Pasadena, CA, he studies computer science and biology as a junior. In his free time he enjoys running, playing with dogs and watching sports. Contact him at asalinas 'at' stanforddaily.com.