Men’s soccer continues road trip with a pair of Pac-12 matchups

The No. 10 ranked Stanford men’s soccer team (6-1-3, 3-0 Pac-12) travels north for a pair of conference games against Oregon State (5-4-2, 1- 2) and Washington (6-5, 1-2) this weekend. The Cardinal take on Oregon State tonight and then conclude the trip on Sunday with a visit to Washington.

Following three consecutive national championships, Stanford began the 2018 campaign searching for the winning formula, tying their first three matches. They seem to have found their rhythm, as they have won six of their last seven games. Their lone loss of the season came Sept. 20 in a 1-0 decision at the hands of Pacific.

This past Sunday, Stanford defeated UC Berkeley 4-2, led by junior defender Tanner Beason’s two goals. Beason was named Pac-12 Player of the Week for his heroics. Senior midfielder Amir Bashti and freshman forward Zach Ryan contributed the other two goals for the Cardinal.

With their win at Berkeley, Stanford continued their undefeated start to conference play. After the first two weeks of Pac-12 competition, the Cardinal sit in a familiar position on top of the standings. The squad looks poised to challenge for the Pac-12 title, an accomplishment they achieved in each of the last four years.

Before they can think of championships, Stanford must take care of business this weekend against two competitive teams.

Washington started the season strong, winning six of their first seven games. They’ve cooled off a bit lately, losing four of their previous five games. If history is any indication, the Cardinal’s tilt with Washington should be competitive. Since 2014, the schools have split all their meetings and the last six games have been decided by no more than a goal.

Stanford enters Corvallis with history on their side. With head coach Jeremy Gunn at the helm, the Cardinal have yet to lose to Oregon State. The last time the Beavers beat Stanford was in 2011. Oregon State began conference play with a win against Washington, but have lost their two most recent matches, against San Diego State and UCLA.

Sunday’s match against the Huskies will be televised on Pac-12 Network at 3pm. Today’s game against Oregon State will kickoff at 6 p.m.

Contact Jake Stuebner at jstuebs ‘at’ stanford.edu