Women’s soccer prepares to end road trip

The No. 1-ranked Stanford Women’s Soccer team (12-0-1, 5-0-0) journeys to Arizona State (6-5-1, 1-3-1) to face off against the Sun Devils this Saturday at 7 p.m. PST.

The Cardinal are coming off a five-game winning streak after a 3-0 victory against Oregon State last Sunday. That game was won through a strong first half producing all three goals, compliments of sophomore midfielder Belle Briede, senior forward Tegan McGrady and senior midfielder Jordan DiBiasi. The win also extends their unbeaten streak to 35 games, currently standing at the seventh-longest all time in NCAA D1 history.

With such a strong first half of the season, the defending NCAA Champions definitely have their eyes on a repeat this year, but titles are won one game at a time, and the Stanford Cardinal must face their next challenger in Arizona State.

Stanford heads into the game with a four-game victory streak against the Sun Devils, holding a 14-4-3 record against them all time. Saturday’s game will be the first matchup since October 1st, 2017, where the Cardinal claimed a commanding victory, six goals to zero.

Along with their 35-game unbeaten streak, the Cardinal are riding a 23-game winning streak against other Pac-12 opponents, with their last conference defeat dating all the way back to October of 2016 against USC. Of their five Pac-12 victories this season, four have been shutouts.

While the Cardinal seek to continue their momentum, the Sun Devils are looking to get out of a recent Pac-12 slump. Arizona State has lost the last three of their most recent PAC-12 matchups, suffering defeats from USC, UCLA, and Utah.

This matchup marks the last game of a three-game road trip, as the Cardinal will return to Stanford Stadium next Thursday to host the Utah Utes (6-6-1, 3-2-0).

Contact Stephen Ren at rensteph ‘at’ stanford.edu.