Stanford one win away from perfect conference season

Coming off a four-game winning streak high, No. 21 Stanford field hockey (13-4, 5-0 America East) banged another one in against UC Davis (6-12, 0-7 America East) in a 3-0 shutout on Wednesday afternoon at UC Davis, improving their conference record to a pristine 5-0 in America East.

The Cardinal started off strong with sophomore Madison Connell sinking in a quick one unassisted, her first goal of her collegiate career. The goal was only nine minutes into the first half of the game, and it set the aggressive Stanford standard for the rest of the game. Feeling the mighty pressure of the fiery Cardinal spirit, with eight shots on goal and six penalty corners in the first half alone, UC Davis’ goalkeeper Chelsea Bigelow held out strong with three momentous saves as she kept the score at 1-0 into halftime.

Seeking redemption in the second half, the Aggies sought out two penalty corners and two shots on goal within the first three minutes. Thanks to junior Kelsey Bing’s incredible goalkeeping, the Cardinal were able to maintain their advantage.

Inspired by the Aggies’ threats, Stanford swung into their usual goal-hungry mojo in the second half. Junior Emma Alderton, assisted by freshman Molly Redgrove, and freshman Lily Croddick, assisted by sophomore Kaylie Mings, scored a mere two minutes apart from each other, putting the Cards ways ahead with a 3-0 lead. Untempered by their stunning performance and relentless team dynamic, the Card continued to press the Aggies with three more shots and three more penalty corners before claiming their fifth straight victory, putting Stanford as winners of 13 of their last 14 games, only falling to No. 10 Iowa two weeks ago.

This win puts Stanford just one win away from a perfect conference regular season, a title last held by the Cardinal in 2014 as a member of the NorPac conference.

Stanford returns to the Varsity Turf on Friday night at 7 p.m. in its last regular season game against Pacific.

Contact Asia Zhang at asiaz ‘at’ stanford.edu