Track heads up north for start of indoor season

The men’s and women’s indoor track and field seasons begin tomorrow with the UW Indoor Preview, hosted by the University of Washington. Several veterans will embark on their final season at the farm, while eight Cardinal athletes are expected to make their collegiate debuts.

Ranked No. 13 in the first USTFCCCA coaches’ poll of the season, the Cardinal men will be led by veterans Harrison Williams, the reigning Pac-12 decathlon champion, and Isaiah Brandt-Sims, who has accumulated several school-records under his name.

Williams embarks on his fifth and final season with the Cardinal. His athletic resume includes four All-American titles and a third-place finish at the U.S. Championships. He will be competing in the 60-meter hurdles, pole vault and long jump tomorrow.

Brandt-Sims has school records in the indoor and outdoor 4×400 relay. In last year’s indoor season, Brandt-Sims ran the second leg on a school record distance medley relay team at the Alex Wilson Invite. He’s scheduled to run the 60 meters this weekend.

On the women’s side, first-team All-American Lena Giger returns as one of the top shot putters in the country. Giger’s third-place finish in the event at NCAA Outdoors last spring is the highest finish in that event for Stanford since 2004. This indoor season will mark Giger’s last season representing Stanford. The veteran will compete in her specialty this weekend as she looks to improve upon her impressive sixth place finish at Indoor nationals last year.

Senior sprinter Missy Mongiovi is expected to begin her season this weekend as well, with a 600 and 4×400 relay on her plate. The first-team indoor All-American has been a member of two NCAA women’s runners-up distance medley relays and will likely continue to be a major contributor as the No. 16 Cardinal women begin the indoor season.

Stanford will arrive in Seattle with some fresh faces amongst the group as eight Cardinals are expected to make collegiate debuts across several events. For the men, freshmen distance runners Liam Conway and Clayton Mendez will both participate in the mile and 4×400 relay. Freshmen Andrew Franco and Miles Zoltak will join forces in the 60-meter race. Franco will also participate in the 200-meter and Zoltak in the 4×400 relay.

On the women’s side, freshman Allie Jones is expected to make her debut in the 60 meter hurdles along since sophomore Samantha Seaton, who will also compete in the long jump. Jones is slated to participate in the 4×400 meter relay with freshman Kennedy Gamble, who will also debut the 60-meter. Freshman Jordan Fong will begin her collegiate career this weekend, as well, in the weight throw.

The meet is set to begin at 9 a.m. tomorrow in Seattle, Washington.

Contact Alejandro Salinas at asalinas ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Alejandro Salinas '21 is a Senior Staff Writer after serving as the Managing Editor of Sports for two volumes. Hailing from Pasadena, CA, he studies computer science and biology as a junior. In his free time he enjoys running, playing with dogs and watching sports. Contact him at asalinas 'at' stanforddaily.com.