Synchronized swimming prepares for final meet in Avery

This weekend, Stanford synchronized swimming will compete against Lindenwood in their only home meet of the season. The Cardinal have already competed in two invitationals prior to this weekend, but this will be their first dual meet.

On Jan. 26 and 27, Stanford competed in the Minnesota Invitational in Minneapolis, MN, and placed second out of four teams. Similarly, last weekend at the Incarnate Word Invite in San Antonio, TX, the team placed second overall.

Cardinal synchronized swimming has a rich history and holds eight collegiate national championships; their most recent was won in 2016.

Late last year, three-time Olympic gold medalist Elvira Khasyanova from Russia was named the assistant head coach for the Cardinal squad. In addition to the killer instincts of head coach Megan Azebu, Khasyanova will be sure to add another flavor to the team’s routines as the Cardinal seek another championship.

Senior Rachel Hyon and sophomores Caitlin Klauer and Jacklyn Luu were named All-Americans last year after their stellar performances during the U.S. Collegiate Championships in Arizona. These athletes will be ones to watch going forward, especially in the solo and trio events.

“I am excited to show everyone all the hard work that we’ve been putting into our routines,” Luu said. “I am most excited for all my friends and family to see; having the home crowd cheering us on in our own pool is such an amazing feeling!”

Tomorrow’s meet at Avery Aquatic Center will be the last before the Western Regionals and Collegiate National championships. This one and only home meet begins at 11 a.m. PST.

Contact Nandini Naidu at nnaidu ‘at’ stanford.edu.