Sivilli excels in lacrosse Senior Day victory

On Friday evening, No. 19 Stanford women’s lacrosse (12-4, 6-3 Pac-12) rolled Cal 17-6, led by a Senior Day outburst from senior Monika Sivilli, who recorded her first career hat-trick in her last regular season game as a Cardinal.

The match came as a milestone victory for head coach Amy Bokker, as Stanford won in Bokker’s 150th career game with the Cardinal. The win secured the third seed in the Pac-12 Tournament for the Cardinal, who will play sixth-seeded Oregon in the first round.

Behind Sivilli’s career day, junior captain Mikaela Watson also contributed three goals of her own while sophomore Ali Baiocco added two goals and two assists.

After a short opening ceremony to commemorate the time of each graduating senior — Sivilli, Areta Buness and captain Julia Massaro — Stanford got off to a blistering start, slinging three into goal within the first seven minutes. Watson scored two of these first three.

Cal got on the board moments later, only to face another onslaught as the goal prompted a streak of seven consecutive goals from the Cardinal to put the game out of reach at 10-1 with five minutes left in the first half. Sivilli left Stanford with no doubt heading into halftime when she finished off her hat-trick in the last minute of the half.

Domination of the first half allowed the Cardinal to give playing time to some of its younger players in the second before the team heads to the postseason. Freshmen Caitlin Chicoski and Kelleigh Keating both scored in the next frame, with Keating recording her first career goal in a Stanford uniform.

By game’s end, Stanford had eleven different goalscorers and seven players with assists. The Cardinal outshot Cal (28-22) and edged the Bears in both draw controls (13-11) and ground balls (16-15).

Next weekend, Stanford travels to Eugene, Oregon for the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament. If the Cardinal win there, the team advances to the NCAA Tournament. The competition will be begin Friday with the final on Sunday.

Contact Andrew Tan at tandrew ‘at’ stanford.edu.