Stanford tennis heads to Pac-12 Championship in Ojai

Stretching their winning streak to 14 games, No. 3 Stanford women’s tennis (19-1, 10-0 Pac-12) concluded their regular season with a 6-1 win against No. 14 Cal (12-7, 6-4 Pac-12) on Saturday. The Cardinal now head to Ojai, California as the No. 1 seed in the Pac-12 tournament, which kicks off on Wednesday, though the team’s first appearance in the tournament will come on Thursday in the quarterfinals against the winner of eight-seed Colorado (10-13, 3-7 Pac-12) and nine-seed Washington State (18-9, 3-7 Pac-12).

No. 14 Stanford men’s tennis also travels to Ojai as the No. 3 seed in the Pac-12 championship to begin their postseason play with a match against No. 6-seed Arizona. After 4-3 and 4-1 weekend road victories over Oregon and Washington, respectively, the team finished their regular season with a 5-3 record against Pac-12 foes and a 16-5 record overall.

On the women’s side, the Cardinal defeated both potential Thursday opponents earlier this month with a 4-0 victory over the Cougars on April 5 on the home court and a 4-0 win over the Buffaloes on the road in Boulder on April 14. Stanford women’s tennis currently boasts an undefeated record against both teams, going 20-0 against Washington State since 1999 and 8-0 against Colorado since the teams’ first battle in 2009.

Meanwhile, Cardinal men’s tennis aims to extend their winning streak against Arizona to 12 consecutive matches and improve their record against the Wildcats to 29-1. Earlier this season, Stanford defeated the No. 21 team in a 4-0 shutout victory with sophomore No. 13 Axel Geller clinching the victory from the top singles spot.

Looking ahead, triumph over Washington State or Colorado on Thursday advance the Cardinal women to the semifinals on Friday at noon, where they would take on the winner of No. 4-seed USC and No. 5-seed California. A Thursday victory for the men’s team would also situate them in the semifinals and set them up to face the winner of No. 7-seed Washington and No. 2-seed USC.

Stanford tennis’ Pac-12 tournament action kicks off with the women’s quarterfinal game on Thursday at noon. The men’s team’s test against Arizona will follow later that evening at 6 p.m.

Contact Savanna Stewart at savnstew ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Savanna Stewart is a managing editor in the Sports section. She is a junior from Twin Bridges, Montana studying Political Science and Communication and enjoys running and playing basketball. Contact her at sstewart 'at' stanforddaily.com.