The Daily stands in solidarity with the Black community. Read our editors’ statement.

Field hockey stuns No. 7 Michigan, sets sights on Brown

One week after a 4-3 shootout loss to No. 15 Northwestern, No. 21 Stanford field hockey (2-2, 0-0 American East) toppled No. 7 Michigan (2-2, 0-0 Big Ten) in another Friday shootout. The 3-2 win capped a comeback mounted by the late-game heroics of star junior attacker Corinne Zanolli and senior goalkeeper Kelsey Bing.

The Cardinal trailed 2-0 in the third quarter, but roared back with two third-quarter goals from Zanolli, in the 34th and 39th minutes, to tie the game 2-2 entering the penalty shootout. It was again Zanolli who scored the game-winner.

Last year, Zanolli scored 26 goals, setting Stanford’s single-season record. This year, she is on pace to break her own record, having already netted six goals through four games. 

Though Zanolli took all six of Stanford’s shot attempts during regulation on Friday, she had a strong supporting cast behind her. She was assisted in her first goal of the game by redshirt sophomore defender Sarah Johnson and sophomore midfielder Fenella Scutt. On the second goal, Zanolli was assisted by senior attacker Emma Alderton.

Bing made 12 saves on Friday and successfully warded off the Wolverines in the shootout. Her effort was essential to a Cardinal win in which Michigan dominated the statistical categories of shots (20-6) and penalty corners (5-1).

Tuesday’s matchup with Brown marks the start of a four-game road trip for Stanford, as it looks to claim a winning record for the first time this season. The game is set for 1 p.m. PST.

Contact Holden Foreman at hs4man21 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Holden Foreman '21 is the Vol. 257 president and editor-in-chief. He was the Vol. 256 executive editor (vice president). He was managing editor of news in Vol. 254 and student business director in Vol. 255. He hails from the city of St. Louis, Missouri and is studying computer science. Contact him at hs4man21 'at' stanford.edu.