No. 2 men’s water polo defends Avery with 16-5 victory against San Jose State

Following an undefeated season-opening weekend at the Navy Open, No. 2 men’s water polo (5-0, 0-0 MPSF) toppled San Jose State (0-3, 0-0 GCC) to the tune of 16-5 on Friday night’s home opener.

Senior Bennett Williams and junior Tyler Abramson spearheaded the Cardinal attack, each with four goals in the game. Stanford struck first with a penalty shot from Abramson with 7:40 left in the first. Williams followed suit with a pair of goals in the final three minutes of the first.

The second quarter saw redshirt junior Ben Hallock, sophomore Quinn Woodhead, sophomore Jackson Seybold and Williams each score once. Abramson netted two to collect a hat trick.

The Cardinal scored nine goals in the opening half, while allowing just three. Sophomore George Hagestad made a total of 14 saves on the night, preventing a frustrated San Jose State team from challenging the Cardinal.

A total of nine players contributed to the 16 goals for the Cardinal, including true freshman Larson Weigle, who added two to the team’s total. 

The action continued through Saturday and Sunday with three exhibition games in the Stanford Invitational. The Cardinal hosted Pro Recco, Italy’s top professional team, in a Saturday morning duel. Abramson and Hallock contributed two goals each as the humbled Cardinal conceded a 24-9 loss to the international giants. 

The Cardinal again played Pro Recco on Sunday morning but fell 17-6.

The weekend contests concluded Sunday afternoon with a 16-13 exhibition loss to the Olympic Club. Williams scored five times, while Hagestad made nine saves as the Cardinal closed the book on its ninth game in eight days. 

The season continues on Friday with a home meeting against a talented No. 4 UCSB (9-0, 0-0 GCC) team. 

Contact Alejandro Salinas at asalinas ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Alejandro Salinas '21 is a Senior Staff Writer after serving as the Managing Editor of Sports for two volumes. Hailing from Pasadena, CA, he studies computer science and biology as a junior. In his free time he enjoys running, playing with dogs and watching sports. Contact him at asalinas 'at' stanforddaily.com.