No. 5 men’s soccer hosts unranked San Francisco

Following a 1-0 win over San Diego State University, No. 5 Stanford men’s soccer (9-1-2, 3-1-1 Pac-12) will return from a 10 day break to play the University of San Francisco (2-8-1, 0-2-0 WCC) on Wednesday at home.

The Cardinal are 16-20-6 all-time against San Francisco. Stanford has won the most recent two meetings, a record that dates back to 2017. 

The Cardinal are currently on a two-game win streak after defeating two conference foes, SDSU and UCLA. In their preview game against the Aztecs, Stanford went up 1-0 early in the second half after freshman forward/midfielder Ousseni Bouda found the back of the net from 25 yards out. This was the only goal of the game, but it was enough to outlast San Diego State. Bouda’s goal was his third game-winning goal of the season and marked the seventh shoutout win of the season for the team.  

For his efforts, Bouda was named the Pac-12 Player of the Week on Oct. 15. He is currently tied for the team lead in goals with four, and he leads Stanford in points with twelve. Another player to look out for is senior forward Charlie Wehan, who has scored in two of the last five games.

San Francisco has been struggling as of late. They have lost five of their last six games and haven’t recorded a win since a Sept. 12 meeting with San Jose State. Additionally, through their first eleven games, they have allowed 29 goals despite scoring just eight.

Junior defender Shayan Charalaghi has been leading the charge for San Francisco. He leads the team in shooting percentage (0.250) and is tied for the team lead in goals with two, and points with five. 

Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday at Maloney Field at Laird Q. Cagan Stadium.

Contact Gerzain Gutierrez at gerzain ‘at’ stanford.edu.