R&DE aims to implement keyless lock system for rooms in select student dorms

This summer, Stanford Residential and Dining Enterprises (R&DE) piloted a new keyless lock system in the Soto and Trancos dormitories of Wilbur Hall. When implemented, the system will allow students to enter their rooms by using just their University-issued ID cards.

“This new system will provide security and convenience for residents of these two houses,” wrote R&DE spokesperson Jocelyn Breeland in an email to The Daily.

R&DE aims for the system to be fully operational in Soto and Trancos by the end of fall quarter, but has not yet finalized an implementation date.

Though students are currently unable to unlock their doors with their ID cards, the doors did work for some time before move-in day, according to Soto Resident Assistant Ryland Pampush ’21.

“When I moved in on Sept. 1 for staff training, I was super excited to use the new locks but quickly realized they didn’t work,” Pampush said. “Then, one day, they finally started working. They worked for about a week, but then the day before New Student Orientation, they stopped.”

Students are using traditional room keys, as is done in other campus dorms, until the keyless system goes into effect.

“Our preparations continue to ensure a smooth transition from the old system to the new,” Breeland said.

Soto and Trancos were the two dorms chosen to test this new system since they were already scheduled to be renovated over the summer, Breeland wrote. These renovations were part of R&DE’s regular maintenance investment in student residences.

In addition to the lock installation, the dorms received upgrades to their walls, ceilings, windows, furniture and flooring, among other changes.

Soto resident Aaron Chai ’23 said he felt lucky to be living in one of the two dorms that are involved with renovations. Ngoc Vo ’21, who had seen Trancos before the summer’s renovations, said the dorm is nicer now than it was previously.

“I really like how our dorm feels brand new,” Chai said. “Whenever I have friends visit from other dorms, they always say that our dorm seems a lot cleaner in comparison to theirs because of the new wall paint and furniture.”

R&DE hopes that the foundation established by the Soto and Trancos pilot will help in implementing the keyless entry system in new construction complexes, such as the Escondido Village Graduate Residences, and throughout existing campus housing as well.

Contact Camryn Pak cpak23 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Camryn Pak is a news managing editor. Contact her at cpak 'at' stanforddaily.com.