Women’s soccer hosts Hofstra in second round of NCAA tournament

No. 1 Stanford women’s soccer (19-1, 11-0 Pac-12) will face Hofstra (16-3-2, 7-0-2 CAA) in the second round of the NCAA tournament on Friday night. 

The Cardinal enter the match after a dominant 15-0 triumph against Prairie View A&M (13-8, 9-1 SWAC) on Nov. 15. In this game, junior forward Catarina Macario, who seemed to be unstoppable, set a program record with 13 points after scoring four goals and dishing five assists. Macario leads the nation in both goals with 27 and assists with 23 this season.

Macario also holds the program record for points on the season with 77, which is 12 points ahead of runner-up Kelley O’Hara ’10, who plays for the USWNT and the Utah Royals FC. Last Friday’s game also broke the record for the most goals scored in an NCAA Tournament, topping Texas A&M’s 2004 record of 10 points. 

Macario, who was crowned the Pac-12 Women’s Soccer Midfielder of the Year, is currently on the watchlist for the Mac Hermann Trophy. She won the award last year and will have another game to potentially add more to her record-breaking total score count. 

Stanford’s opponent Hofstra comes into the match on a 16-game unbeaten streak. The team put Loyola Chicago away last Saturday with a 1-0 overtime victory. Last season, Hofstra was eliminated by the University of Wisconsin in the second round. This year, they are led by Lucy Porter, who has a program-record 40 points on the season.

Stanford’s road to the NCAA title continues Friday at 7 p.m. PST at Cagan Stadium. Last season, the postseason was cut short one game away from the NCAA finals. With a win against Hofstra, the Cardinal will compete against the winner of Penn State and Arizona in the quarterfinals on Nov. 24. 

Contact Inyoung Choi at ichoi ‘at’ stanford.edu.