Woman groped near Escondido Village, AlertSU reports

A female student walking toward Ray’s Grill around the 800 block of Escondido Road was groped by an unidentified man at approximately 6:15 p.m. on Sunday evening, according to an AlertSU notification.

The alert stated that the suspect “approached her from behind and grabbed her buttocks.” Following the incident, the suspect ran toward Escondido School.

The suspect, of unknown age and race, with an average build, broad shoulders and dark clothing, was seen to be wearing a backwards red cap, according to Stanford University Department of Public Safety (SUDPS) spokesperson, Bill Larson. “The victim called 911 from a 911 Emergency Telephone Tower,” also referred to as Blue Tower on Escondido Road, added Larson.

The incident follows a demonstration at the Big Game football match on Nov. 23, where a group of students hung a banner that read “40% of Stanford women experience unwanted sexual contact,” an approximated statistic from a campus climate survey released in early October.

*This article has been updated to include a quote from SUDPS spokesperson Bill Larson.

Contact Leily Rezvani at lrezvani ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Leily Rezvani is the managing editor of podcasts and a desk editor of news. She is a sophomore majoring in Symbolic Systems in hopes of better understanding the intersection between technology and the humanities. Leily has interned for National Public Radio, Google Arts and Culture, the United Nations Association, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Contact Leily at lrezvani ‘at’ stanford.edu.