Point Rewards You for Shopping at Your Favorite Brands

Dec. 4, 2019, 10:11 a.m.

Choosing which bank account to open has not traditionally involved an extensive pros and cons list and certainly isn’t known for sparking joy. The selection typically defaults to what’s nearby or whatever your parents set up for you.

Point, a Y Combinator-backed startup, recognized an opportunity for a better banking service that actually rewarded its customers.

“I realized that traditional banks didn’t provide the level of service or mobile app experience that I had come to expect from my favorite consumer brands.”  Point co-founder and CEO, Patrick Mrozowski said. 

The Point team has built a modern, mobile-first banking app that provides personalized value to ambitious college students and young professionals who are underserved by their existing financial products. Point has paired their thoughtfully designed banking service with a new kind of debit card that earns cash back at your favorite brands, charges zero foreign travel fees and encourages responsible spending.

How does Point offer this type of added value to its customers?

“Because we don’t have high fixed costs from physical branches or huge advertising budgets like the old legacy banks, we are able to pass these savings onto our customers in the form of amazing rewards, generous interest rates on deposits and no hidden fees,” said Mrozowski.

Point saw an opportunity to create a revolutionary debit card, aptly named Point Card, that provides the perks of a high-end credit card without the debt. 

“We wanted to reward our users for spending at the places they already love” Mrozowski said.

Point Cardmembers currently earn useful rewards like 3X points on Uber, Lyft and all major food delivery apps (DoorDash, Postmates, and more), 4X points at all coffee shops, 2X points at select restaurants (Chipotle, Sweetgreen, and more), and 7X points on subscriptions (Spotify, Netflix, Headspace).

“We are continually adding reward partners and personalizing them based on our users’ spending habits,” added Mrozowski.

Point wants to be the best way for its customers to spend their money in a sustainable way. Whether you’re getting cash back for shopping at your favorite places or you’re earning interest on your deposits, they want to make your money work for the way you live.

Learn more and download the app at point.app

The Stanford community gets instant early access and 500 bonus points. Just use code TREE19 to sign up.

Point is actively hiring brand ambassadors at Stanford to host fun promotional events on campus and gain marketing and business strategy experience. They will even help you score an awesome internship for summer 2020! For more information check out the job posting or reach out to [email protected]