Men’s and women’s swimming to host the Arizona schools

Both swimming and diving teams will race this weekend against each of the Arizona schools in a combined, dual meet format. Arizona State will take the deck first on Friday before Arizona’s turn on Saturday.

The Cardinal men last swam two weeks ago in their annual meet against Pacific, opening the winter season. For the tenth straight year, Stanford prevailed as swimmers assembled into racing form. 

The fifth-ranked women, however, have not seen competition in three months, last competing at the Art Adamson Invitational over Thanksgiving break. The three-time defending national champs are 20-0 against the Sun Devils and 18-3 against Arizona, with the last loss coming in 2003. 

While victory is almost guaranteed against each unranked squad, expect to see most swimmers in one or two of their main events, as the coaching staff works the team back from three months of intense training.

This weekend will mark the first conference dual meets under first-year head coach Dan Schemmel. Though the Cardinal are a combined 27-3 against the men’s teams from the Grand Canyon State, the weekend will be a trial for Stanford. 

Both No. 10 Arizona and No. 13 Arizona State diving teams are ranked well above the No. 19 Cardinal in the polls. The two schools already have conference wins over Utah and USC from early in the fall. 

While they are the minority section of the team, the divers from the men’s and women’s teams are poised to make an impact. The conference named sophomore Carolina Sculti the Pac-12 Women’s Diver of the Week after a stellar performance at the Bruin Invitational last weekend. Sculti won gold on the three-meter board and placed third on the one-meter.

Against Pacific, sophomore Conor Casey won both the one-meter and three-meter events. Casey is the reigning Pac-12 three-meter champion.

Swimmers leap from their blocks against Arizona State this afternoon at 3 p.m. PT in Avery. The Arizona meet is set to start at noon on Saturday.

Contact James Hemker at jahemker ‘at’ stanford.edu.

James Hemker '21 is a current Senior Staff Writer and former Managing Editor of the sports section. A computer science major, he has made the cross-country journey to the Farm from Baltimore, MD. After being tortured for years by the Washington Football Team, Browns, and Orioles, the wide successes of the Cardinal have shown him that the teams you root for can in fact win championships. Contact James at jhemker 'at' stanforddaily.com.