The Daily stands in solidarity with the Black community. Read our editors’ statement.

Emily Arbuthnott earns 100th career win in strong week for Stanford tennis

Stanford women’s tennis extend win-streak to four, men comeback to beat Ohio State

Stanford men’s and women’s tennis earned wins this week at Taube Family Tennis Stadium. The No. 13 men’s team completed a come-from-behind 4-3 victory over No. 5 Ohio State on Wednesday, and the team snapped a four-game losing streak. After falling to No. 1 USC, No. 12 TCU and No. 4 Texas twice over the past three weeks, the Stanford men bounced back with a strong performance all around at home. 

After dropping the doubles point and losing the day’s first two singles matches, the Cardinal men initially fell behind 1-3. Freshman Filip Kolasinski started the comeback charge, defeating Robert Cash (6-4, 7-5). Junior Timothy Sah then earned a straight-set win over Justin Boulais (7-6[5], 6-3) to tie it up 3-3. Freshman Neel Rajesh clinched the win with a victory over No. 78 James Trotter (6-2, 3-6, 6-3), completing the upset.

The women’s team continued their recent streak of dominance with a shutout win over Saint Mary’s on Tuesday afternoon, bringing their active winning streak to four games. The team has dropped only one game all season, but has posted five shutouts on the year thus far.

Senior Emily Arbuthnott earned her 100th career singles win, highlighting the Cardinal’s dominant performance. The economics major defeated Jordan Harris in straight sets (6-1, 6-2), bringing her career record to 100-25 overall. 

After No. 43 Choy/Higuchi earned the day’s first doubles victory, the No. 19 Arbuthnottt/Blake duo narrowly defeated McIntyre/Kozyreva (7-6[6]) to earn the doubles point for Stanford. Senior Emma Higuchi provided the clincher for Stanford, handily taking down Danielle McIntyre (6-1, 6-2). 

The women’s team returns to home conference play on Friday against No. 37 USC before hosting No. 3 UCLA on Saturday. Meanwhile, the men’s team heads to La Jolla, CA for the Pacific Coast Doubles tournament. 

Contact Shan Reddy at rsreddy ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Shan Reddy '22 is The Daily's Financial Officer, Business Team Director and a desk editor for the sports section covering Stanford football and tennis. Contact him at [email protected]