Support independent, student-run journalism.  Your support helps give staff members from all backgrounds the opportunity to conduct meaningful reporting on important issues at Stanford. All contributions are tax-deductible.

The 2020 ASSU elections: A primer for contested races

By and

After a week of virtual campaigning, students can cast their votes for next year’s Associated Students of Stanford University (ASSU) representatives on Monday and Tuesday.

On the ballot are 31 candidates for 15 spots on the Undergraduate Senate, 16 candidates for 15 Graduate Student Council seats and just one slate for ASSU executive. Senators Martin Altenburg ’21 and Jennalei Louie ’21 dropped out of the race on Monday, leaving Senate Chair Munira Alimire ’22 and ASSU Executive Cabinet member Vianna Vo ’21 virtually certain to clinch the top spot in Stanford’s student government.

In class-level races, the only contested campaign is for sophomore class president, where four slates are vying for the position.

Voters will receive their ballots via email through an individualized link, and they will have two days to place their votes. This year, the ballot opened on Monday at 12 a.m. PT and closes on Tuesday at 11:59 p.m. PT. Election results will be announced on Friday.

Below, The Daily has compiled a guide to the contested undergraduate races: the Undergraduate Senate election and the sophomore class president election.

May 19, 12:30 p.m.: This article has been updated to include additional information provided by the “Your Sophomore Class Presidents” slate.

May 19, 11 a.m.: This article has been updated to include more information about Chaze Vinci’s candidacy, and to reflect that only four sophomore class president slates remain in the race after ’23andTree was disqualified.

Michael Espinosa, Daniel Wu, Kate Selig, Smiti Mittal, Emma Talley, Won-Gi Jung, Sarina Deb, Camryn Pak and Charlie Curnin contributed reporting.

Contact Erin Woo at erinkwoo ‘at’ stanford.edu and Arjun Ramani at aramani3 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Erin Woo '21 is a Managing Editor of News. A communications major and creative writing minor, she plans to pursue a career in journalism. She has also reported for The Mercury News and WNYC. Contact her at erinkwoo 'at' stanford.edu.
Arjun Ramani '21 is The Daily's Data Director. He hails from the Hoosier Heartland of West Lafayette, Indiana and is studying economics and computer science. Contact him at aramani3 'at' stanford.edu.