Five catalytic converts stolen from vehicles on campus, alert reports

Stanford University Department of Public Safety (SUDPS) reported that five catalytic converters have been stolen from vehicles in a Wednesday AlertSU notification.  

The converters, which are used in a car to control tailpipe emissions, were stolen between June 20 and Sept. 27. SUDPS reported that the affected vehicles were two Honda Elements, two Toyota Prii and a Honda Accord. SUDPS does not have any known suspects for the thefts, according to the alert.

According to Bill Larson, spokesperson for SUDPS, the Department of Public Safety has increased the frequency of patrols of parking structures and lots in order to respond to these thefts. 

“At this time of the investigation, we do not know if the suspects are affiliated with Stanford nor if the thefts are connected to one or more of the same suspects” Larson wrote in a statement to The Daily. “Catalytic converter thefts are a nationwide problem and not unique to Stanford.”

This article has been updated with statements from SUDPS spokesperson Bill Larson.

Georgia Rosenberg contributed reporting.

Contact Michael Espinosa at mesp2021 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Michael Espinosa '21 is majoring in international relations. He's the head of The Daily's social media team, and editor for the University beat and also occasionally writes about other topics for sports, arts, and The Grind. He's the biggest Taylor Swift fan at Stanford and the proudest New Yorker you will ever meet. Contact him at mesp2021 'at' stanford.edu.