Tracking COVID-19 at Stanford

By , , , and

(Up-to-date as of Oct. 19 5:30 p.m. PT) This article will be continually updated on a weekly basis. The data for this article can be found on the Stanford Open Data Portal.

Since late June, Stanford students, faculty, staff and postdocs have recorded 48 cases through surveillance testing and other Stanford-affiliated programs, with 9 in the past week. Surveillance testing began in late August. The data, provided by the University, also include tests through Vaden Health Center and Stanford University Occupational Health Center.

Stanford’s surveillance testing program includes undergraduate and graduate students living on campus, as well as faculty, staff and postdocs who visit campus. Weekly testing is mandatory for students on campus and recommended for other groups.

Testing for Stanford healthcare workers is conducted and reported separately from testing for other groups on campus by Stanford Medicine’s Healthcare Workforce Response Team. The Daily compiled data on COVID-19 cases and tests from the StanfordMed Pulse emails in the final section of this article. There have been 463 cumulative positives among Stanford healthcare workers to date with 16 in the last week.

Navigate to each set of charts using the links below:

1. Students
  2. Faculty, Staff and Postdocs
  3. Students, Faculty, Staff and Postdocs Combined
  4. Stanford Healthcare Workers

Students

Weekly testing increased from fewer than 1,000 tests a week in mid-August to close to 5,000 tests a week by early September, but has since largely flattened. Weekly positive tests have remained largely flat in the single digits throughout the summer and early fall, though 9 positive tests were reported last week.

The data below shows the results of Stanford’s on-campus surveillance testing for undergraduate and graduate students. Surveillance testing, which began in late August, is required for students on campus on a weekly basis by the University. Tests facilitated by Vaden Health Center and data for student-athletes are also included. 

Faculty, Staff and Postdocs

Weekly testing increased from fewer than 200 tests a week in mid-August to around 1,000 tests a week by early September and has continued to increase at a rapid rate to 1,624 tests last week. Weekly positive tests have remained largely flat in the single digits throughout, with 0 positive tests last week.

The data below shows the results of Stanford’s on-campus surveillance testing for faculty, staff and postdoctoral scholars. For non-students who visit campus, surveillance testing, which began in late August, is not required but encouraged by the University. Tests administered by the Stanford University Occupational Health Center are also included. There have been 6 cumulative positive cases among faculty, staff and postdocs, which was adjusted downwards from 7 reported cases last week.

Students, Faculty, Staff and Postdocs Combined

Weekly testing increased from fewer than 1,000 tests a week in mid-August to more than 6,000 tests a week by early September and has continued to increase at a gradual rate. Weekly positive tests have remained largely flat in the single digits throughout the summer and early fall, though 9 positive tests were reported last week. The Stanford test positivity rate has been .10% across all weeks.

Stanford Healthcare Workers

Of the 463 total positive tests among Stanford healthcare workers, at least 252 have occurred since July 6 when weekly data was first released. Weekly positive cases have been as high as 41 the week of July 27 while 16 new cases were recorded last week. Testing also displayed variability. 401 tests were recorded the week of Sep 21 while 196 tests were recorded last week.

The data below are from StanfordMed Pulse, which sends a daily email to the Stanford Medicine community covering research and clinical developments. StanfordMed Pulse was called the StanfordMed Daily until October 5. New data on tests and cases are reported weekly with reports beginning on July 6, but the cumulative count of cases and tests include tests conducted before this date.

This article has been corrected to clarify that the data include results from Stanford-affiliated programs other than Stanford’s surveillance testing. It has also been updated to include data on cases and testing covering Stanford healthcare workers. 

Contact Nicole Corso at ncorso ‘at’ stanford.edu, Sophie Andrews at sophie1 ‘at’ stanford.edu, Michelle Bao at baom ‘at’ stanford.edu, Arjun Ramani at aramani3 ‘at’ stanford.edu and the Stanford Daily Data Team at data ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.

Arjun Ramani '21 is The Daily's Data Director. He hails from the Hoosier Heartland of West Lafayette, Indiana and is studying economics and computer science. Contact him at aramani3 'at' stanford.edu.