Tracking COVID-19 at Stanford

By , , and

(Up-to-date as of Jan. 13 6:30p.m. PT) This article will be continually updated on a weekly basis. The data for this article can be found on the Stanford Open Data Portal.

Since late June, Stanford students, faculty, staff and postdocs have recorded 241 cases through surveillance testing and other Stanford-affiliated programs, with 79 in the past week. Surveillance testing began in late August. The data, provided by the University, also include tests through Vaden Health Center and Stanford University Occupational Health Center.

Stanford’s surveillance testing program includes undergraduate and graduate students living on campus, as well as faculty, staff and postdocs who visit campus. Weekly testing is mandatory for students on campus and recommended for other groups.

Testing for Stanford healthcare workers is conducted and reported separately from testing for other groups on campus by Stanford Medicine’s Healthcare Workforce Response Team. The Daily compiled data on COVID-19 cases and tests from the StanfordMed Pulse emails in the final section of this article. There have been 1,244 cumulative positives among Stanford healthcare workers, with 93 in the past week.

Navigate to each set of charts using the links below:

1. Students
  2. Faculty, Staff and Postdocs
  3. Students, Faculty, Staff and Postdocs Combined
  4. Stanford Healthcare Workers

Students

Weekly testing increased from fewer than 1,000 tests a week in mid-August to close to 5,000 tests a week by early September, has since largely increased to 8,145 tests reported last week. Weekly positive tests have remained largely flat in the single digits throughout the summer and late fall, but 54 positive tests were reported last week, an all-time high since late June when the University began reporting. There have been 137 cumulative positive cases among students.

The University reported an error in the originally announced number of student tests administered during the week of Aug 12. The revised total is 206 tests fewer than what was previously reported.

The data below shows the results of Stanford’s on-campus surveillance testing for undergraduate and graduate students. Surveillance testing, which began in late August, is required for students on campus on a weekly basis by the University. Tests facilitated by Vaden Health Center and data for student-athletes are also included. 

Faculty, Staff and Postdocs

Weekly testing increased from fewer than 200 tests a week in mid-August to around 1,000 tests a week by early September and has continued to increase at a rapid rate with 7,102 tests reported last week. Weekly positive tests have remained largely flat in the single digits throughout the summer and late fall, but 25 positive tests were reported last week, an all-time high since late June when the University began reporting. There have been 104 cumulative positive cases among faculty, staff and postdocs.

The data below shows the results of Stanford’s on-campus surveillance testing for faculty, staff and postdoctoral scholars. For non-students who visit campus, surveillance testing, which began in late August, is not required but encouraged by the University. Tests administered by the Stanford University Occupational Health Center are also included. 

Students, Faculty, Staff and Postdocs Combined

Weekly testing increased from fewer than 1,000 tests a week in mid-August to more than 6,000 tests a week by early September and has continued to increase at a gradual rate with 15,247 tests reported last week. Weekly positive tests have remained largely flat in the single digits throughout the summer and late fall, but 79 positive tests were reported last week, an all-time high since late June when the University began reporting. The Stanford test positivity rate has been .18% across all weeks. There have been 241 cumulative positive cases among students, faculty, staff and postdocs.

Stanford Healthcare Workers

Since early July, Stanford healthcare workers have recorded 1,244 cases total, with 93 positive tests reported last week. As of the week of November 30, the StanfordMed Pulse is no longer releasing the total number of tests conducted each week among Stanford healthcare workers.

The data below are from StanfordMed Pulse, which sends a daily email to the Stanford Medicine community covering research and clinical developments. StanfordMed Pulse was called the StanfordMed Daily until October 5. New data on tests and cases are reported weekly with reports beginning on July 6, but the cumulative count of cases and tests include tests conducted before this date.

This article has been corrected to clarify that the data include results from Stanford-affiliated programs other than Stanford’s surveillance testing. It has also been updated to include data on cases and testing covering Stanford healthcare workers. 

Contact Nicole Corso at ncorso ‘at’ stanford.edu, Sophie Andrews at sophie1 ‘at’ stanford.edu, Michelle Bao at baom ‘at’ stanford.edu, Arjun Ramani at aramani3 ‘at’ stanford.edu and the Stanford Daily Data Team at data ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.

Arjun Ramani '21 is The Daily's Data Director. He hails from the Hoosier Heartland of West Lafayette, Indiana and is studying economics and computer science. Contact him at aramani3 'at' stanford.edu.