University announces plans to have multiple all-sophomore residences next year

Stanford plans to have multiple all-sophomore residences starting fall quarter of the 2021-22 academic year, according to a Wednesday email to frosh from University administration. 

This news comes after fall and winter plans to bring frosh and sophomores to campus were cancelled. In usual all-frosh residences, students benefit from living with others who are also transitioning to colleges and have easy access to resources like mentorship from Resident Assistants.

This year, forming virtual community has been a concern for frosh. According to Frosh Council member Brian Wu ’24, Frosh Council received feedback from frosh looking for more ways to build community after these cancellations. Plans for the sophomore residences were made “with the enthusiastic endorsement of the Frosh Council,” according to the email.

The email also relayed additional intentions to organize a “Sophomore Welcome” in collaboration with Class of 2024 members, although no details have been laid out yet, according to Wu. The University will also hold other sophomore-specific events as a way to recreate frosh traditions, such as Frosh Formal, that did not occur this academic year.

“We’re the class that really has not experienced any of these traditions, and admin at that time encouraged us to start new traditions,” said Wu. “We can’t really create the all-frosh experience anymore, because we’re not going to be frosh next year… [but we’re] framing sophomore year as a way to really build community, a bond, just like we would normally do freshman year.”

The email also reaffirmed Stanford’s plan to prioritize bringing back freshmen and sophomores during the summer quarter. 

“The vision and enthusiasm that we experienced working with the Frosh Council last week gives us tremendous confidence that our shared commitment to your future at Stanford will make great things happen,” wrote Vice Provost for Student Affairs Susie Brubaker-Cole, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education Sarah Church, Senior Associate Vice Provost of Residential and Dining Enterprises Shirley Everett, and Senior Associate Vice Provost and Dean of Students Mona Hicks.

Contact Michaela Guo at mcguo ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Michaela Guo is a staff writer in the News section. She is a freshman and plans to study Human Biology and Asian American studies. Contact her at mguo ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.