Women’s soccer begins Pac-12 run with Oregon

Stanford (1-0) starts off its Pac-12 run on the road against Oregon (1-0-1) this Friday.

The Cardinal are looking to continue their 18-game winning streak, dating back to last season. In the two teams’ last matchup, in 2019, Stanford demolished the Ducks in a 5-0 victory that featured two goals in the first half and three in the second. 

Notable, however, is the fact that three of those five goals came from two players, Catarina Macario and Sophia Smith, who have since turned pro. 

Despite the loss of key players coming into this season, Stanford will still look to dominate the field. Stanford owns an all-time 22-0-1 record against the Ducks. And after a rocky start to last week’s match against Pepperdine, the Cardinal seem to have found their rhythm, jumping back into the season ready to defend their title. 

Key players from last week’s match include goal-scorers sophomore midfielder Sierra Enge, who had a beautiful arching ball into the net from the top of the penalty box, and junior forward Civana Kuhlmann, who drilled in her first goal since returning from an injury.  

Freshmen who made their first debut within the starting 11 against Pepperdine included midfielder Astrid Wheeler, midfielder/forward Sarah Paulson, midfielder Amy Sayer and defender Julia Leontini. Fans can look forward to seeing plenty more of these ladies as the season develops.  

Players to keep an eye out for this week include redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Katie Meyer, as she vies for another Oregon shut out, as well as the young developing Stanford defense. 

As an offense, Stanford will need to put more shots on goal earlier in the game than they did against Pepperdine last week. If Stanford can immediately come out the same way they did for the second half of the Pepperdine match, Friday should be an exciting matchup.

Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. PT from Eugene, OR. The game will be live-streamed through the Oregon Live Stream-3 link, which can be found here

Jenna Ruzekowicz is a staff writer in the sports section. She is a sophomore from Syracuse, New York majoring in Computer Science. Her teams include: Portland Thorns, Arsenal and Man City. Contact her at jruzekowicz 'at' stanforddaily.com.