Loos finishes 2nd in all-around at Winter Cup, named to USA National Team

Sophomore Riley Loos is having a 2021 season to remember.

Having earned back-to-back MPSF Gymnast of the Week honors, Loos left the Stanford bubble to compete in the 2021 USA Gymnastics Winter Cup in Indianapolis, finishing 2nd in the all-around competition and earning one of six spots on the 2021 U.S. Gymnastics senior national team.

Loos was joined by former Cardinal Eddie Penev ’13 and two future Cardinal, Taylor Burkhart and Khoi Young, at the two-day competition.

The all-around competition was held on the first day of the Winter Cup, while individual event performances rounded out the two-day event. The all-around title was determined on day one, and the individual event titles were determined on day two based on a two-day total.

Although not competing in the second day of the competition, Loos made the most out of his time in Indianapolis, posting an 83.250 in the all-around competition. He finished just nine-tenths shy of University of Michigan senior Cameron Bock, who claimed the all-around title.

Loos’ second-place finish earned him one of six coveted spots on the 2021 senior national team, along with Bock and fellow Wolverine sophomore Paul Juda, former University of Oklahoma gymnasts Yul Moldauer and Allan Bower and University of Minnesota senior Shane Wiskus.

Penev went up three spots from last year on the floor exercise to claim the silver medal with a total score of 28.500, five-hundredths behind Wiskus. He did one better on vault to win the event title with a two-day total of 29.150.

Young finished in a four-way tie for third place on the vault and earned a top-five finish on the pommel horse. Burkhart finished in the top 10 on the high bar.

Loos will now come back to Stanford to compete with the rest of the team after completing a mandatory quarantine once on campus. 

The next meet for the Cardinal is another virtual meet against No. 15 Springfield on Mar. 5.

Jordan John Lee is a staff writer for the Sports section and occasionally writes for the News section of The Daily. Fresh off graduating with majors in Biology and Classics, he is a second-year master's student in Epidemiology and Clinical Research. From the 626, he has grown up watching his Los Angeles teams, the Dodgers and Lakers. His dream is to watch tennis at all four Grand Slam tournaments. Contact him at jjlee 'at' stanforddaily.com.