Women’s tennis finishes weekend with Colorado shut-out

No. 28 Stanford women’s tennis (4-0, 2-0 Pac-12) took care of business on Sunday, defeating Colorado (7-3, 1-1 Pac-12) in a 7-0 shutout. 

Senior Michaela Gordon and junior Niluka Madurawe fell in their doubles set 6-1. It was the first doubles loss the team has suffered all season, but strong performances from the other pairs clinched the super-set point for the Cardinal.

Even Gordon and Madurawe didn’t let the loss stop them: Both players won their singles match in straight sets, and Madurawe didn’t drop a single game. Gordon on the other hand, needed a tiebreak game in the second set to close out her singles match 6-2, 7-6.

Fifth-year Emily Arbuthnott and freshman Ana Geller, who defeated their doubles opponent 6-0, also defeated their singles opponents in straight sets. Geller finished quickest out of all Cardinal players with a 6-1, 6-0 victory while Arbuthnott won her match 6-3, 6-3.

The final doubles pair — senior Janice Shin and junior Sara Choy — took a 6-1 set victory. While Shin made quick work of her singles opponent in a 6-4, 6-3 defeat, Choy needed a third set to defeat Colorado’s Maria Campos with a 6-2, 4-6, 6-2. 

The team will next welcome Pacific (1-4, 0-0 WCC) to the farm for a Tuesday morning matchup.

Michael Espinosa '22 is majoring in international relations. He's the head of The Daily's social media team, and editor for the University beat and also occasionally writes for sports, arts, and The Grind. He's the biggest Taylor Swift fan at Stanford and the proudest New Yorker you will ever meet. Contact him at mespinosa 'at' stanforddaily.com.