NewsHealth

Weekly student COVID-19 cases drop to 0 for the first time since November

The University reported zero new student COVID-19 cases and four new faculty, staff and postdoc cases for the week of March 8 — a reduction from the previous week’s six combined new cases.

This second week of declining cases comes as vaccine eligibility expands and case counts drop in Santa Clara County and across the nation. On Monday, California updated its vaccination guidelines, enabling individuals in high-risk congregate settings (such as prisons and homeless shelters) to get vaccines. The new guidelines also allow healthcare providers to use “clinical judgment” to vaccinate high-risk individuals between the ages of 16 and 64.

Asked if the expansion of eligibility would allow students in on-campus dorms to get vaccinated, University spokesperson E.J. Miranda referred The Daily to state guidance, which did not suggest dorms would qualify as “high risk” congregate housing.

Stanford has, however, begun to vaccinate some students working on-campus jobs, such as resident assistants.

Sam Catania ’24 is the Chief Technology Officer at The Daily. He also is the producer of the weekly video roundup and formerly served as a news beat reporter covering COVID-19 on Stanford's campus and the assessment team leader of The Daily's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) team. Sam is a Philadelphia native currently studying Symbolic Systems. You can follow him on Twitter @sbcatania. Contact him at scatania 'at' stanforddaily.com

Toggle Dark Mode Toggle Dark Mode
Toggle Large Font Size Toggle Font Size

Apply to The Daily's High School Summer Program

Applications Due Soon