Women’s soccer drops overtime heartbreaker to UCLA

After conceding a goal in the first minute of overtime, Stanford women’s soccer (5-6-2, 4-4-2 Pac-12) lost 2-1 in its Breast Cancer Awareness match against Pac-12 champion No. 5 UCLA (12-1-1, 9-1-0 Pac-12).

The Bruins started off the match strong, outshooting the Cardinal 4-to-0 within the first 25 minutes. However, Stanford soon found its footing and ended the first half with four shots to UCLA’s six. 

As the match progressed, both teams began to play with more energy. Within the first four minutes of the second half, there were two more shots from each team. Still, play was sloppy, and both teams lacked poise and control.

After scoring the first goal, which came in the 55th minute from freshman forward Samantha Williams, the Cardinal could not hold on in the Sunday game, and it became clear that the 2019 NCAA champions were in danger of their first losing season since 1987.

The goal was Williams’ fourth as a Cardinal. Her cross was deflected by UCLA freshman midfielder Michaela Rosenbaum, but the slightly misdirected ball could not be caught by UCLA redshirt junior goalkeeper Lauren Bryzykcy and eventually found its way to the back of the net.

Beyond her goal, Williams was an integral part of the Cardinal offense. Within her 54 minutes of playing time, the freshman had three shots and contributed to many promising plays. 

Although the offense had many chances, the Cardinal could only capitalize on the one, which was not enough to maintain the lead. In the 77th minute, the Bruins were able to find the back of the net. After a smooth pass out left, UCLA freshman forward Reilyn Turner was able to slip the ball past Cardinal redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Katie Meyer.

The late goal allowed the Bruins to send the match to overtime, during which they quickly scored once more. Within the first minute, UCLA was able to take advantage of chaos in the box. Although UCLA sophomore forward Mia Fishel was first denied with an impressive block from Meyer, senior midfielder Delanie Sheehan was able to put the ball away to end the match.

Next up is the final match of the regular season; the Cardinal will take on rival Cal on Friday, April 16. Fans can watch live on Pac-12.com, and kick-off is set for 4 p.m. P.T.

Samantha Leventis is a staff writer for the Stanford Daily sports section, who is a sophomore majoring in Symbolic Systems. Originally from Washington, D.C., Leventis is a supporter of the Washington Spirit and an even bigger fan of the Stanford women’s soccer team. You can find her soaking up the sun or attempting to surf as a newfound hobby. Contact her at sleventis ‘at’ stanforddaily.com