Men’s rowing wins two of three over the weekend

Men’s rowing swept Oregon State and Santa Clara but lost to Cal in a two-day, three-race meet over the weekend. 

On Saturday, the Cardinal varsity eight scored a nearly four-second victory over Oregon State, crossing the finish line in 5:50.95 to Oregon State’s 5:54.33. The second varsity eight widened the margin of victory in its race, winning by just over nine seconds. Stanford finished in 6:00.55 while Oregon State finished 6:09.67.

Stanford also rowed against Santa Clara later in the day on Saturday as the wind picked up at the Redwood Shores. The varsity eight still dominated, winning by 23 seconds in 6:19.40 to Santa Clara’s 6:42.90. The second varsity eight was slightly closer, but the Cardinal still won comfortably in 6:40.70. Santa Clara finished in 6:54.80.

On Sunday, Stanford faced significantly more challenging competition with the Golden Bears. Cal edged out the Cardinal for a seven-second victory in the varsity eight, finishing in 5:44.18 compared to Stanford’s 5:51.05. The margin of victory was wider for Cal in the second varsity eight: Cal finished in 5:53.56 while Stanford crossed the line in 6:07.08.

The next time the Cardinal will compete will be at the Pac-12 Championships on May 16.

Sofia Scekic is a desk editor for the sports section. She is a junior from Wisconsin studying Public Policy. An avid Green Bay Packers fan, she has not missed a game in nine years. Contact her at sscekic 'at' stanforddaily.com.