Accessibility statementSkip to main content
We need your help: All banner donations made today will support The Daily's new staff financial aid program.
Learn more and donate.

Overtime heartbreaker as women’s soccer falls to UNC

On Saturday, No. 10 Stanford women’s soccer (3-2-0, 0-0-0 Pac-12) took on the soccer dynasty, No. 2 University of North Carolina (6-0-0), ultimately losing in overtime, 2-1.

Regardless of the scoreline, the battle was hard-fought. The Cardinal were first to score on the night with a 12th-minute goal from freshman midfielder and forward Andrea Kitahata; Junior midfielder Maya Doms was credited with the assist. Kitahata has been a stand-out throughout the beginning of the season, scoring three goals and three assists in just five games. Heading into Pac-12 games, and looking toward the future of the program, Kitahata will be a valuable asset and potential top-scorer.

In the 50th minute, UNC’s sophomore forward Emily Moxley equalized, returning momentum to the Tar Heels. They racked up a total of 11 shots in the second half, while the Cardinal held on with only three. Redshirt junior Katie Meyer had three saves in the second half alone.

Regulation time ended in a 1-1 draw, sending the match to overtime. In the 97th minute, UNC’s junior defender Tori Hansen put her team ahead, ultimately giving the Tar Heels the victory.

Despite two losses on their trip east, both games were lost only narrowly, giving confidence to the Cardinal as they head back to the Farm.

Three non-conference games remain on the Cardinal’s schedule before they test their luck against Pac-12 foes. The University of San Francisco will be the next contender, with game-time set for 7 p.m. PT on Thursday. The next six of Stanford’s matchups — including Thursday’s action — will be played on the Farm.

The author's profile picture

Jenna Ruzekowicz is a staff writer in the sports section. She is a sophomore from Syracuse, New York majoring in Computer Science. Her teams include: Portland Thorns, Arsenal and Man City. Contact her at jruzekowicz 'at' stanforddaily.com.