Introducing the 2022 Stanford Daily Summer Journalism Institute

The Summer Journalism Institute (SJI) is a two-week intern program created exclusively for incoming frosh and undergraduates at Stanford looking to dive into the exciting world of student journalism in college.

Aug. 25, 2022, 7:09 p.m.

Dear Stanford Community and incoming frosh,

The Stanford Daily is proud to introduce our 2022 Stanford Daily Summer Journalism Institute (SJI), a two-week intern program created exclusively for incoming frosh and undergraduates at Stanford looking to dive into the exciting world of student journalism in college. SJI is designed to support current and incoming Stanford students with backgrounds underrepresented in the journalism industry.

The program will include two weeks of events and workshops, ranging from news and reporting to arts and multimedia. Working alongside you will be our wonderful managing editors and affinity group leaders to guide you as you begin your journey at Stanford and with The Daily.

SJI has also established a mentorship program, where you will be paired with a student mentor to help answer any questions you have (our mentors all have different majors and interests, ranging from CS to fine arts to journalism — so there’s a ton to talk about)! We invite you to sign up if you’re interested. The program will run remotely from Sept. 4-17, and the deadline to apply is by Aug. 30.

Our application form is here.

Looking forward to welcoming you this September!

With Daily love,

Bhumikorn Kongtaveelert, Chloe Mendoza, Gheed El Bizri, Tom Quach
2022 SJI Directors

Bhumikorn Kongtaveelert '25 is the culture desk editor for the Arts & Life section and the Energy and Environment Beat Reporter for the News section. Contact The Daily’s Arts & Life section at arts ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.Chloe Mendoza ʼ25 is the Managing Editor of Podcasts and an Arts and Life fashion/culture columnist. She hails from the raisin capital of the world, Selma, California and is passionate about the intersection of anthropology and social justice. She is a proponent of the em dash and her interests include plants, art, journaling, reading, indie pop and jazz, and fashion. Contact The Daily’s Arts & Life section at arts ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.Gheed El Bizri ‘25 serves as the Grind Desk Editor for Vol. 262. From Lebanon, she seeks to major in Psychology and minor in Human Rights and has a strong interest in creative writing and journalism. She hopes to use storytelling as a way of putting into words the most complex human emotions, staying connected to people all around the world and banding them together. She is also interested in representing her country, Lebanon, and amplifying the voice of her people through her work. Contact Gheed at thegrind 'at' stanforddaily.com.Tom Quach '24 serves as the Academics Desk Editor for Vol. 261 and previously a startups beat reporter for The Daily's SciTech section. Tom also serves as Account Manager for The Daily's Business Team. He's from San Francisco, CA, and enjoys biking, building LEGOs and playing Mario Kart with friends on his spare time. Contact him at tquach 'at' stanforddaily.com.

Toggle Dark Mode Toggle Dark Mode
Toggle Large Font Size Toggle Font Size

Apply to The Daily's High School Summer Program

Applications Due Soon