Track and Field starts off the season strong

The Stanford track and field team traveled to Boston to compete in the Sharon Colyear-Danville Season Opener against collegiate athletes from around the country. Both the men’s and women’s teams found success in the 5000-meter run, the only event Cardinal runners competed in.

Junior Ky Robinson placed first for the men in the 5000-meter on Saturday, recording the best-ever time for a Stanford athlete in the event. 

Robinson finished with a time of 13:11:53 in the event, crushing his previous best by more than eight seconds and landing him the fourth-fastest time in indoor collegiate history (11th-fastest including outdoor). Robinson beat Stanford’s all-time fastest in the 5000 by almost four seconds, surpassing both the indoor record set by 14-time All-American Chris Derrick ‘12 (13:19:58) and the outdoor record set by former Olympian Ian Dobson ‘05 (13:15:33).

The race itself was one for the books, as nine runners finished within the top-20 times in NCAA indoor racing history. The Cardinal’s other competitor in the race — fifth-year senior Meika Beaudoin-Rosseau — also recorded a personal best of 13:40:50, placing 41st. 

The women’s team entered four runners in the 5000. Leading the Cardinal was junior Zofia Dudek, who placed 15th and recorded a personal best of 15:40:41 — placing her third on the Stanford women’s all-time indoor list for the event. Junior Lucy Jenks placed 18th and landed fourth on the same list, while sophomore Audrey Dadamio set a personal record on her way to 44th. Senior Grace Connolly placed 66th. 

After a great performance in Boston, Stanford will travel to the Spokane Invitational on Saturday.

Jason is a desk editor for the sports section. At any given moment, he's either complaining about his favorite sports teams or telling someone random he used to live in Italy. You can contact him at sports 'at' stanforddaily.com.