Police Blotter: Rape, identity theft and robbery

This report covers a selection of incidents reported from May 24 to May 30 as recorded in the Stanford University Department of Public Safety (SUDPS) bulletin. Learn more about the Clery Act and how The Daily approaches reporting on crime and safety here.

This story contains references to sexual assault.

Wednesday, May 24

• Between May 1, 2022 and May 24, 2023, stalking was reported at Mitchell Earth Sciences Building.
  • Between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. on May 22, vandalism was reported at 340 Bonair Siding Road.
  • Between 3 p.m. on May 23 and 10 a.m. on May 24, petty bicycle theft was reported at Escondido Village 2, Building 79.

The Daily has reached out to SUDPS for comment on the reported stalking at Mitchell Earth Sciences Building.

Thursday, May 25

• Between 1 a.m. and 1:16 a.m., a motor vehicle theft with a hit and run collision and property damage was reported at Main Quad.
  • Between 8:30 a.m. and 9:35 a.m., second-degree burglary was reported at Lot 95 – Track House.
  • Between 6 a.m. and 11:20 p.m., disorderly conduct was reported at 57 Pearce Mitchell Place.
  • Between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m., identity theft was reported at 8 Peters Coutts Circle.

Friday, May 26

• Between 9 p.m. on May 25 and 10 a.m. on May 26, petty theft of an electric scooter was reported at Old Union.
  • Between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m., petty theft of an electric scooter was reported at Roble Gym.
  • At an unknown time between Jan. 7 and Mar. 19, an instance of rape was reported at Kappa Alpha. 

Regarding the reported instance of rape at Kappa Alpha between Jan. 7 and Mar. 19, SUDPS spokesperson Bill Larson wrote to The Daily that “[W]e do not know the identity of the victim because they wish to remain anonymous and not speak with law enforcement. We also do not know the identity of the suspect except that the suspect is an acquaintance of the victim.”

Saturday, May 27

• At an unknown time between May 13 and May 23, a bike was stolen at Robinson House.
  • Between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m., burglary was reported at Kappa Sigma.
  • At 6 p.m., robbery was reported at Kappa Sigma.

Sunday, May 28

• At 11:12 p.m., disorderly conduct involving alcohol and battery was reported at the Haas Center.

Larson wrote to The Daily that the reported disorderly conduct happened outside of the Haas Center.

Tuesday, May 30

• Between 12 a.m. and 12:10 a.m. on May 1, grand theft from a building was reported at Tresidder Memorial Union.
  • Between 6 p.m. on May 19 and 9 a.m. on May 22, motor vehicle theft was reported at Munger Jacobson Hall.
  • Between 11:30 p.m. on May 26 and 12:40 a.m. on May 30, petty bicycle theft was reported at EVGR-D.
  • Between 11:30 a.m. on May 29 and 11:00 a.m. on May 30, petty bicycle theft was reported at Schiff House.
  • Between 8:15 p.m. on May 29 and 9:15 a.m. on May 30, petty theft of an electric bicycle was reported at Jenkins House.
  • Between 5 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., motor vehicle theft was reported at Galvez Parking Lot.
  • Between 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., bicycle theft was reported at Main Quad. 
  • At 5:05 p.m., an incident concerning student safety was reported at Kappa Alpha.

Larson wrote that a case of student safety “is one in which a student or person reports a crime to Campus Security Authority but wishes to remain anonymous.” 

Regarding the incident concerning student safety at Kappa Alpha on May 30, Larson wrote that “the injured party indicated that the bottle was tossed in the air by an intoxicated student.”

Larson also wrote that “no relationship between these two cases” reported to have occurred at Kappa Alpha exists.

This article has been updated to contain additional information for incidents reported to SUDPS between May 28-May 30.

A previous version of this article stated that instance of rape reported on May 26 at Kappa Alpha occurred between Jan. 1 and Mar. 3. The Daily regrets this error. 

Sebastian Strawser ‘24 is an Opinions contributor. He also writes for Humor and The Grind. His interests include political philosophy, capybaras and Filipino food. Contact Sebastian at sstrawser 'at' stanforddaily.com.