Police Blotter: Rape, trespassing and stalking

This report covers a selection of incidents reported from May 31 to June 6 as recorded in the Stanford University Department of Public Safety (SUDPS) bulletin. Learn more about the Clery Act and how The Daily approaches reporting on crime and safety here.

This story contains references to sexual assault.

Wednesday, May 31

• At an unknown time between May 1 and May 30, an incident concerning student safety involving battery and false imprisonment was reported at Main Quad.
  • Between 5 p.m. on May 16 and 5:30 p.m. on May 30, petty bicycle theft was reported at the Center of Academic Medicine.

SUDPS Security, Parking, and Traffic Manager Vincent Bergado previously wrote to The Daily that cases are classified as simple, as opposed to aggravated, when “very little information” about an incident was received in addition to no injuries being sustained.

SUDPS spokesperson Bill Larson previously wrote to The Daily that a case of student safety “is one in which a student or person reports a crime to Campus Security Authority but wishes to remain anonymous.”

Regarding the reported incident concerning student safety at Main Quad, Larson wrote to The Daily that “Since the incident was reported to us by a Campus Security Authority (CSA), and not by the victim, we have no additional information such as the identity of the victim and the suspect.”

Thursday, June 1

• Between 8 p.m. on May 20 and 7 a.m. on May 21, petty theft from a building was reported at the Graduate School of Business.
  • Between 8:30 p.m. on May 31 and 10 a.m. on June 1, grand theft of an electric bicycle was reported at Potter House. 
  • Between 10 p.m. on May 31 and 8:45 a.m. on June 1, grand theft of an electric bicycle was reported at Sweet Hall.
  • Between 10:40 p.m. on May 31 and 10:30 a.m. on June 1, petty bicycle theft was reported at Steuber Rugby Stadium.
  • Between 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., petty theft was reported at the Arrillaga Outdoor Education and Recreation Center.
  • At 11:50 p.m., an outside warrant arrest occurred at the Oval.

Regarding the reported outside arrest warrant at the Oval, Larson wrote that “The person was arrested for an outstanding traffic warrant issued by an ‘outside’ agency (San Mateo County).”

Friday, June 2

• At an unknown time between May 2 and May 31, stalking was reported at Tresidder Memorial Union.
  • Between 11 p.m. on June 1 and 2:45 p.m. on June 2, petty theft of bicycle parts was reported at EVGR Building D.
  • At 5:38 a.m., a simple case of obstructing a peace officer was reported at the intersection of Campus Drive and O’Connor Lane.
  • At 8 a.m., threatening crime with the intent to terrorize involving an intimidating phone call and disobedience of a court order was reported at Lot 62 – Wilbur South.

Regarding the reported stalking at Tresidder Memorial Union, Larson wrote that “A female student reported that a male student was stalking her which has made her feel unsafe. The case is under investigation and was also reported to the Title IX Office.” 

Regarding the reported threat to terrorize at Lot 62 – Wilbur South, Larson wrote to The Daily that the case referred to the District Attorney.

Saturday, June 3

• Between 6 p.m. on June 2 and 8 a.m. on June 3, petty theft of an electric bicycle was reported at Kappa Kappa Gamma.
  • Between 10 p.m. on June 2 and 1:30 a.m. on June 3, trespassing was reported at Wilbur Hall – Cedro.
  • Between 10 p.m. on June 2 and 1 p.m. on June 3, petty theft of an electric scooter was reported at Green Library – East.
  • Between 2 a.m. and 3 p.m., grand theft was reported at the intersection of Campus Drive and Mayfield Avenue.
  • At 6:25 p.m., a simple battery case was reported at Frost Amphitheater.
  • Between 9:45 p.m. and 11 p.m., grand theft was reported at Manzanita Field Parking Garage.

The Daily has reached out to SUDPS for comment on the reported trespassing at Wilbur Hall – Cedro and the case of battery at Frost Amphitheater. 

Sunday, June 4

• At 3 a.m. on May 15, a simple case of assault to commit rape was reported at SUDPS.
  • At 9 a.m. on May 29, sexual penetration with force was reported at SUDPS.

According to Larson, the reported incidents of assault to commit rape and sexual penetration with force were reported to have occurred in Las Vegas and in San Francisco, respectively. “The victim is the same Stanford student in both cases. The suspect is not affiliated with Stanford. The respective police agencies are investigating, not SUDPS,” Larson wrote.

Monday, June 5

• Between 12:01 a.m. on Jan. 15 and 11:59 p.m. on Jan. 21, assault to commit rape was reported (student safety)at Main Quad.
  • Between 7 p.m. on June 4 and 9 a.m. on June 5, petty bicycle theft was reported at Lot 31 – Roble.
  • At 10 a.m., aggravated battery was reported at the intersection of Bowdoin Street and Campus Drive.
  • At 10:30 a.m., grand theft of an electric bicycle was reported at Lagunita – Meier Hall.
  • Between 3:30 p.m. and 3:33 p.m., petty bicycle theft was reported at Roble Field Parking Garage.
  • At 6:23 p.m., a hit and run collision including vehicular and property damage was reported at Hundred Block.

The case of aggravated battery is the same incident for which the Stanford community received a Clery alert in their emails titled “Community Message – Unwanted Kiss (Battery).”

Tuesday, June 6

• Between 2 p.m. on June 2 and 10 a.m. on June 6, second-degree burglary and commercial breaking and entering was reported at the Spilker Engineering and Applied Sciences Building.
  • Between 5 a.m. on June 5 and 6:30 p.m. on June 6, grand theft of an electric bicycle was reported at Lagunita – Ujamaa A.
  • Between 9 a.m. on June 5 and 1 a.m. on June 6, petty theft of an electric bicycle was reported at the Shriram Center for Bioengineering and Chemical Engineering.
  • Between 8 p.m. on June 5 and 4 p.m. on June 6, petty bicycle theft was reported at Roble Hall – Wing C.
  • Between 8:55 a.m. and 9 a.m., a hit and run collision including vehicular and property damage was reported at Hundred Block.
  • Between 3 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., petty bicycle theft was reported at Main Quad.
  • Between 6:06 p.m. on June 5 and 5 a.m. on June 6, petty theft of an electric scooter was reported at Escondido Village Studio 6.
  • Between 11:30 a.m. and 9 p.m., petty theft was reported at Tresidder Memorial Union.

This article has been updated to contain additional information describing cases concerning student safety and the distinction between simple and aggravated.

This article has been updated to contain additional information from SUDPS spokesperson Bill Larson.

Sebastian Strawser ‘26 is an Opinions contributor. He also writes for Humor and The Grind. His interests include political philosophy, capybaras and Filipino food. Contact Sebastian at sstrawser 'at' stanforddaily.com.