Individual shot near El Camino and Palm Drive, AlertSU reports

An individual residing in a tent in the grove area reported that she was shot by an unknown assailant at 12:55 a.m., according to a Stanford University Department of Public Safety (SUDPS) timely warning. She was transported to a hospital for treatment. 

The tent was adjacent to El Camino Real between Palm Drive and Galvez Street, near Medical Foundation Way. There was no description of the suspect in the initial alert.

“The Department of Public Safety does not believe that the incident presents an ongoing threat to the community,” wrote SUDPS in an Oct. 21 update to the warning.

Timely warnings are issued when “crimes are considered to pose a serious or ongoing threat to students and employees,” according to the Clery Act.

Safety recommendations in the alert advised individuals to walk or run on lighted and paved paths with emergency telephone towers. A map of suggested routes is published on the SUDPS website. 

The AlertSU encouraged students to report any suspicious activity immediately and “be aware of your surroundings and know your location at all times.” 

“Avoid distractions such as talking or texting with a cell phone when on foot,” the AlertSU read. 

SUDPS wrote in an update that, “The victim’s injury was not life-threatening. The Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office is leading the investigation of this incident.”

This story was updated with comment from SUDPS.

Learn more about the Clery Act and how The Daily approaches reporting on crime and safety here.

Kaushikee Nayudu '24 is The Daily's Editor in Chief. Contact her at knayudu ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.Jessica Zhu '24 is the executive editor for Vol. 264 and 265 and was formerly head copy editor and a desk editor for news. She studies international relations, human rights and French, and can probably be found at CoHo with a quad espresso.