Office Hours Air: Alexander Nemerov

Office Hours Air is a new Daily podcast and radio program. The show, created and hosted by Noah Sveiven, features guests in conversation about their work and the experiences in their lives that drew them to that work. Sveiven hopes the program will be of interest to other undergraduates discerning their callings, as well as anyone else wanting to try out new ways of thinking. Office Hours Air is produced weekly and available online on all major podcast platforms.

In a wide-ranging conversation, Alexander Nemerov discusses his life and work with Stanford senior Noah Sveiven. Topics include the art history professor’s two most recent books — “The Forest: A Fable of America in the 1830s” and “Fierce Poise: Helen Frankenthaler and 1950s New York” — along with Nemerov’s relationship with his parents, some recollections from childhood and reflections on university life. 

Nemerov believes in the importance of emotional truths. He explains that when he decided to feature his own emotional truths in his art history lectures, enrollment increased from a few dozen to several hundred. This approach, while popular among some, certainly has its critics. But Nemerov believes that the popularity of his lecture course ARTHIST 1B: “How to Look at Art and Why: An Introduction to the History of Western Painting” indicates that students are yearning to explore urgent, life-affirming themes. 

Noah Sveiven '24 is the host of the podcast Office Hours Air. He is a currently writing a history thesis on primatology at Stanford.