Paul Brest named new interim law school dean

Former Stanford Law School (SLS) Dean Paul Brest temporarily will return to the post following Robert Weisberg J.D. ’79 stepping down as interim dean to address health issues, according to a Monday announcement from University Provost Jenny Martinez.

Martinez, the previous dean, became provost on Oct. 1 after Persis Drell announced her resignation last fall. The search for a permanent SLS dean remains ongoing.

The position is among many open administrative roles in a year of turnovers in the Stanford administration, including the resignation of Stanford’s former president and provost. Susie Brubaker-Cole and Sarah Church also resigned as vice provost for student affairs and vice provost for undergraduate education, respectively, at the end of fall quarter.

Brest, currently a professor emeritus, served as SLS dean from 1987 to 1999, after joining SLS faculty in 1969. He was previously the president of the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation from 2000 to 2012. 

Weisberg became interim dean in October after Martinez was appointed 14th provost of Stanford University. Following his resignation, he will remain a member of SLS faculty, where he currently serves as Edwin E. Huddleson, Jr. Professor of Law. 

“I am grateful to [Weisberg] for his time as interim dean, which has built on an extraordinary career of scholarship and service at SLS, and I completely support his decision to put his health first,” Martinez told the Stanford Report. “I am deeply appreciative that [Brest] has agreed to step into the role while our search wraps up.”

According to the Stanford Report, Weisberg will work alongside Brest to advise faculty and staff, and expects that the change in leadership will cause minimal disruptions.

The Daily has reached out to Martinez, Brest and SLS for comment. Weisberg declined to participate in an interview. 

Felix Chen is an intern in The Daily's winter high school workshops. You can reach them at news 'at' stanforddaily.com.