Your ideal Valentine’s Day based on your favorite alternative rock band

Humor by Sachin Singh

Editor’s Note: This article is purely satirical and fictitious. All attributions in this article are not genuine, and this story should be read in the context of pure entertainment only.

Green Day: You and your partner take turns climbing a telephone pole.

Radiohead: You each listen to white noise through MP3s while looking at SFMOMA’s Rothkos.

Smashing Pumpkins: You debate the ending of Birdman until you convince your partner it is about liberating unconscious psychosexual desires. You go to sleep in different bedrooms.

The Strokes: You take a German hand model out to a place that you really can’t afford. 

Pixies: You bake a marble sheet cake for your partner’s two teenage children. 

Oasis: You bake a marble sheet cake for your two teenage partners.

Pearl Jam: You down an entire six-pack rewatching the Bush-Dukakis debates, and then call your mom on the verge of an emotional breakdown.

The Cars: You fall asleep on a thrifted futon reading “Love in the Time of Cholera.

Interpol: You think your body is an acceptable Valentine’s Day gift.

The Offspring: You finally cut the sleeves off your Ramones T-shirt.

Joy Division: You cry yourself to sleep listening to your ex’s Swedish metalcore mixtape, titled “Ja, detta är the Moon” (Yes, that is the moon).

New Order: You cry yourself to sleep listening to Joy Division.

The White Stripes: You ignore your truancy notice to go chase small animals with a cattle prod.

Arctic Monkeys: You meet your girlfriend at the mall and finally kiss on the lips.

Blink-182: You spend the day reminding yourself why you’re straight.

Paramore: You spend the day reminding yourself why you’re not straight.

Phoenix: You take your partner to a French restaurant to “celebrate your heritage,” although you’re only 1/8th French and were born in Albuquerque.

Temple of the Dog: You and your partner spend the day buying things that would survive a nuclear holocaust.

Fugazi: You take your partner to do yoga at an ExxonMobil gas stop.

Collective Soul: You tell everyone you’re going to an orgy, but you secretly stay home and watch reruns of “Three’s Company.”

Alice in Chains: You hit on other depressed singles at a local gym. 

LCD Soundsystem: You hit on other depressed singles at a local rave.

System of a Down: You hit someone with your car.

Red Hot Chili Peppers: You give your partner a bouquet made of LA parking tickets.

Gin Blossoms: You propose to your ex and, when they refuse, threaten to kill yourself.

The Smiths: You stay home and finish writing your screenplay about the pretty girl from the public library.

Siouxsie and the Banshees: You and your partner host a Universal Classic Monsters-themed séance at a deserted amusement park.

The Last Shadow Puppets: You spend the day pleasuring yourself to videos of Alex Turner.

Blondie: You spontaneously read all six volumes of “The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire.”

Weezer: You do not understand the concept of love.

Sachin Singh is the Vol. 265 Managing Editor for Humor. He is from Santa Clara, CA and Bangalore, India, and enjoys reading and going outside.