Turning the page on love

Editor’s Note: This article is a review and includes subjective thoughts, opinions and critiques.

“People We Meet on Vacation” by Emily Henry

For Alex and Poppy, two uncanny best friends who met on a treacherous road trip home from Univeristy of Chicago to their small shared hometown, a one-week trip becomes the highlight of their year. That is, until something happens, and they don’t speak for two years.

Poppy, desperate to have Alex back in her life, asks him to go on one last trip to Palm Springs. As Poppy tries to balance the luxury prices of Palm Springs and her not-so-luxury budget, their trip quickly devolves from the ideal weekend getaway to a hot mess.

Henry’s novel is a must-read friends-to-lovers romance, and her intricate writing delves past clichés to explore themes of difference and forgiveness. Although Henry has written several popular books, like “Beach Read” and “Happy Place,” this one is my favorite. Henry’s writing style regarding the yearly trips Alex and Poppy go on is uniquely transformative, and I felt completely immersed in every adventure.

“Love and Other Words” by Christina Lauren

Set against the picturesque backdrop of the Bay Area, Christina Lauren’s “Love and Other Words” is an unforgettable childhood friends-to-lovers story that shows love’s resilience.

Soon after her mother’s death, eleven-year-old Macy Sorensen and her father purchase a vacation house outside of San Francisco, where she meets Elliot Petropoulos. Elliot and Macy quickly become best friends, and as time goes on, their relationship blooms from friendship to something more. That is until, for an unspoken reason, they are cut out of each other’s lives. Their story resumes when they accidentally run into each other 11 years later. Told in alternating timelines, readers explore the evolution of the pair’s bond from childhood friends to lovers and strangers to something more once again.

Though the book’s reliance on tropes can be predictable, “Love and Other Words” is worth the read. Lauren’s story captures the importance of first loves, truth, healing and the complexities of human connection and emotion.

“One for My Enemy” by Olivie Blake

In the shadow of modern-day Manhattan, Olivie Blake’s “One for My Enemy” is a fantastic retelling of Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet.” The story unfolds amidst a fiery rivalry between two witch families — the Antonovas and the Fedorovs — vying for control over their criminal empires. Blake’s story focuses on the Antonova sisters, their enigmatic mother Baba Yaga and the Federov brothers, who support their father’s dominion over the city’s magical realm. After an act of violence shatters the already brittle peace, ancient grudges and vengeance reignite, fueling a cold war.  

Blake’s signature blend of world building and prose leads to a unique version of Shakespeare’s classic that explores the complexities of familial relationships and captivates the reader. Among the many retellings, this has to be one of my favorites. Blake’s inclusion of magic and magical realism adds a lot to the story, and creates an exciting twist on the old classic.

“Dance of Thieves” and “Vow of Thieves” by Mary E. Pearson

Mary E. Pearson’s duology “Dance of Thieves” and “Vow of Thieves” plunges into the tumultuous lives of Kazi of Brightmist and Jase Ballenger. Kazi, a member of the Rahtan or the Queen’s guard, is on a mission to Tor’s Watch, a city filled with underground and black market activities controlled by the Ballenger family. Jase, son of the Ballenger clan, is set to succeed his father as the leader of the clan.

When Kazi and Jase first meet, they are at odds, which is only made worse when an unexpected event spirals out of control, causing them to be kidnapped hundreds of miles away from their homes. Kazi and Jase are true enemies, and although they are tied together in the kidnapping, they continue to attempt to fulfill their own missions. As their game of cat and mouse continues, Kazi and Jase see unique sides to each other, which sparks a romance filled with love, lies and true tests of loyalty.

If you love slow burns and a true enemies-to-lovers story, Pearson’s duology is for you. Pearson’s world-building is unbelievable, and both protagonists and side characters provide interesting developments and stories.  

“The Songbirds of Ballads and Snakes” by Suzanne Collins

Set during the tenth Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins’ prequel to “The Hunger Games,” “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes,” follows high school-aged Coriolanus Snow (Coryo), who lives in the shadow of the once prestigious Snow family home, now about to be impounded from Coryo, his cousin Tigris and their Grandmother, the last of the Snows.

The Gamemaster introduces a twist for the tenth Hunger Games: mentors for the tributes. Coryo, desperate to salvage the Snow name, sees his mentor role as the only chance to restore his family’s diminished glory. As he gets to know his tribute, Lucy Gray of District Twelve, Coryo struggles internally to balance his ambition and compassion. As an unlikely romance blooms between the two, Coryo must decide what he values most: love or power.

Collins uses her skillful writing to craft a narrative that balances the brutal battles of the arena and the internal battles her characters face. She explores ideas of loyalty and ambition in a world where every decision, even freeloading on a school project, means life or death.

“The Song of Achilles” by Madeline Miller

After being abandoned by his father and exiled from his homeland, the gangly and awkward Patroclus finds himself enslaved by the king of Phthia. On the other hand, Phthia’s son Achilles is perfect. He has golden skin and lustrous curls and is adored by everyone around him. Achilles befriends Patroclus, treating him as more than just an exiled servant, treating him as an equal.

As they go from young boys to men, Achilles is forced to balance the line between achieving his destiny and glory as the greatest warrior of the Greeks and his love for Patroclus, something that comes to a head at Troy’s tumultuous battlefields, Greek mythology’s legendary conflict.

If you loved reading Homer during in AP Literature, you will love this book. Miller breathes a new life into the tale of Achilles and Patroclus, offering a fresh perspective on their story that combines love, friendship and the test of fate to pull at her reader’s heartstrings and make for a beautiful story.

Going into the story, I did not realize it was a romance, but once I started reading it there was nothing more that I wanted than the two characters falling in love. Miller authentically captures human emotion and relationships, and after reading this book, I feel like I have higher standards for what makes a good romance.

“The Seven Year Slip” by Ashley Poston

Months after the unexpected death of her aunt, Clementine spends all of her time safeguarding her heart through her repetitive job and lifestyle. Clementine’s delicately crafted life bursts when she meets Iwan, a young aspiring chef living in her late aunt’s apartment, who also happens to live seven years in the past.  As Clementine realizes that the many childhood stories she heard about her aunt’s time-traveling apartment were true, she is forced to accept that reality is not necessarily what it seems. She falls deeper in love with Iwan while grappling with the fact that modern-day Iwan is out there somewhere, living a different life.

Poston’s magical prose and vivid imagery make for a story about love’s enduring power and the complexities of human relationships, both romantic and familial. Although this is a romance novel, Poston spends a lot of time focusing on self love, especially as it relates to work and career choices, as well as grief and familial love. Poston explores ideas of truth, love and identity, and her meticulous attention to detail creates an enchanting narrative that emphasizes that love hinges largely on timing.

This was the last book I read in 2023, and it ended up being one of my favorites.

“Carrie Soto is Back” by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Six years after retiring from the professional tennis world, Carrie Soto, the greatest player of all time, watches as Nicki Chan threatens to eclipse her grand slam record. Facing Nicki’s threat to her legacy, Soto returns from retirement, determined to recapture her record and prove herself the best tennis player of all time.

Amid high-stakes competition, Carrie connects with Bowe Huntley, an old tennis star who is also trying to return from retirement. As Carrie and Bowe spend grueling hours training against the sun-drenched backdrop of California, a romance kindles between the two. As tensions rise with competition timelines, so do the tensions between Bowe and Carrie.

Taylor Jenkins Reid’s “Carrie Soto is Back” is a story of resilience, familial bonds, self-love and romance. Reid’s narrative brilliance shines through her work, creating a story about athletic and emotional strength.

Taylor Jenkins Reid is one of my favorite realistic fiction authors. Every book that she publishes, from “One True Loves” to “Daisy Jones and the Six” is an experience on its own. She is not afraid to take risks in her writing, and they always pay off. Carrie is objectively an unlikeable person, consistently rude and brutish. But this is what makes the story such a gem. We get to follow her thought process and see her growth as she goes through this journey, and every part of it is exciting to read.