Bicyclist killed at Embarcadero Road intersection

Police are investigating a Feb. 19 accident that killed a bicyclist at the intersection of Embarcadero Road and Newell Road in Palo Alto. The bicyclist, a woman in her 20s, was killed after being struck by three different vehicles. The first driver remained at the scene, while the other two did not stop. 

The Palo Alto Police Department (PAPD) received and responded to a call reporting the collision at 9:06 p.m. The woman was found unconscious and despite efforts to save her life, was pronounced dead at the scene by the Palo Alto Fire Department. 

Preliminary investigation indicates that the woman had stopped on the number one lane of Embarcadero Road. Police believe she was waiting for a green arrow to turn north on Newell Road. She was struck from behind by a 2023 Honda Accord traveling eastbound in the left lane on a green light.

The force of the collision knocked the woman into the intersection where two additional eastbound vehicles collided with her, witnesses told the police, according to a city press release. The driver of the Accord, a teenage adult male, remained at the scene and had a dash-cam recording that captured the initial collision.

Palo Alto detectives have identified four vehicles that were traveling eastbound at the time of the collision. They are conducting a follow-up investigation to determine which vehicles struck the woman. 

The investigation is still active and ongoing. PAPD Captain Zach Perron wrote in an email to The Daily that they had “no additional information available for release at this time.”

The Daily has reached out to the Santa Clara County Coroner’s Office to confirm the woman’s identity.

A previous version of this article inaccurately described the location of the accident. The Daily regrets this error.

Judy N. Liu '26 is the Academics desk editor for News and staff writer at The Daily.