Rain returns as families leave

After students and their families relished in the sunny warm weather this Family Weekend, cloudy skies and cold, rainy weather are set to return this weekend. 

Rain started Thursday after a sunny start to the week. Rapid weather changes including pea-sized hailstones are expected, according to meteorologists at The San Francisco Chronicle.

The National Weather Service is predicting Friday will be hit with showers, mainly before 11 a.m. South and southwest winds will reach speeds of 10 to 15 miles per hour in the morning, increasing to 17 to 22 miles per hour in the afternoon. However, gusts could reach as high as 33 miles per hour. Showers and a possible thunderstorm will continue throughout the night. 

Saturday will bring more showers and another possible thunderstorm. West and southwest winds will reach around 18 miles per hour, with gusts reaching 30 miles per hour, according to the National Weather Service. Some of these storms could produce small hail. 

PG&E warned of potential power outages from Thursday to Saturday, as rain and heavy winds pass through the Bay Area. The utility group said it is positioning crews and equipment ahead of the storm to expedite necessary repair work.

The Daily has reached out to the National Weather Service for comment.

Caroline Chen, Kaushikee Nayudu and Oriana Riley contributed reporting.

Emma Talley is the Vol. 265 Executive Editor. Previously, she was the Vol. 261 Editor in Chief. She is from Sacramento, California, and has previously worked as a two-time news editor and the newsroom development director. Emma has reported with the San Francisco Chronicle with the metro team covering breaking news and K-12 education. Contact her at etalley 'at' stanforddaily.com.Jessica Zhu '24 is the executive editor for Vol. 264 and 265 and was formerly head copy editor and a desk editor for news. She studies international relations, human rights and French, and can probably be found at CoHo with a quad espresso.