Neale Mahoney named director of Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research

The Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research (SIEPR) named Neale Mahoney Ph.D. ’11, the George P. Shultz fellow and economics professor, its new director Friday. He will assume the role on Jan. 1, 2025 following a planned sabbatical.

Mark Duggan, the current director of SIEPR, will step down on Aug. 31, 2024 after serving nine years in the role. Greg Rosston Ph.D. ’94, the Gordon Cain senior fellow and current director of Stanford’s public policy program, will serve as interim director for the duration of Mahoney’s sabbatical. 

Graduate School of Business Dean Jonathan Levin and Rosston co-chaired a committee on an international search for the new director. It sought stakeholder input to put forth recommendations to Vice Provost and Dean of Research David Studdert, who then appointed Mahoney. 

“I am grateful to Mark for his visionary leadership over the past nine years,” Studdert told the Stanford Report. “I also want to thank Greg Rosston for stepping in as the interim director to facilitate the handoff between Mark and Neale.”

From 2022-2023, Mahoney worked with the White House on the National Economic Council as a special policy advisor. He had previously worked with the Obama administration on healthcare reform, compiling research and advising policymakers.

“I’m eager to use my experience in both of these roles to advance SIEPR’s mission of strengthening connections between the academic and policy worlds,” Mahoney wrote in a statement to The Daily.

SIEPR, founded in 1982, has approximately 120 affiliate faculty from Stanford’s seven schools and offers mentorship and research opportunities to undergraduates, predoctoral fellows and graduate fellows. 

Its annual Economic Summit was held on March 1 and brought together scholars and leaders from government and industry. SIEPR also houses the California Policy Research Initiative, which strives to create a network of Stanford researchers, lawmakers and government officials.

“We have incredibly strong programs for undergraduate research fellows and graduate students. SIEPR also has a very robust predoctoral fellowship program that allows those considering a Ph.D. program a real chance to get a sense of what rigorous economic research is all about,” Mahoney said. “I encourage any Stanford students interested in economic policy research to explore how they may best fit into our ecosystem.”

This article has been corrected to reflect correct titles of Neale Mahoney and Greg Rosston. The Daily regrets this error.

Bertha Gonzalez '27 is a news staff writer and beat reporter for local politics at The Stanford Daily; she writes under the University Desk. She is decisively pre-med, and her favorite stuffed animal at the moment is Mr. Wilbert Scrumples. Contact her at "[email protected]".