Athletes to deliberate employment status post Dartmouth unionization

Cardinal House (C-House) will deliberate on whether Stanford student-athletes should be considered employees at its upcoming spring meeting, said Megan Olomu, a senior women’s sprinter and co-president of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).

Ololmu told The Daily that Athletics Director Bernard Muir spoke with the athletes at the last C-House meeting, a quarterly gathering that hosts coach-appointed representatives from each of the 36 teams, and encouraged them to discuss student-athlete employment. C-House’s spring meeting is scheduled for April 24. 

The discussion comes after a National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) ruling that Dartmouth men’s basketball players are employees of the school. On Tuesday, the team voted to unionize and join Service Employees International Union Local 560, which currently represents some Dartmouth workers. 

Meanwhile, at USC, the NLRB’s Los Angeles regional office is arguing that USC, the Pac-12 and the NCAA exercise unfair labor practices, which opens a path to creating a labor union for student-athletes and changing the NCAA’s amateur business model. 

“There is no other industry where this work is expected of someone and they are not compensated with their fair market value,” said Olomu. “The NCAA justification of the tradition of college sports can no longer justify this money-making enterprise when student-athletes are not being fairly compensated.”